Tools
Reply To This Topic

Directions from Ca to Tn
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I may be driving a 1981 Volvo from Ventura,CA to Tennessee in a couple of weeks. Which is the best route, I40 or I10? I'm not keen about long stretches in the desert with an old car. Or for that matter, long stretches where there are no humans. I've traveled I40 from Flagstaff and it's OK. But I've never traveled the Ca part. I've travel I10 from Dallas and it too is OK but haven't been on the Ca, AR, NM part.
Thanks
Jim
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
How well does the A/C work on that '81 Volvo? It does have A/C, right? If not, then I-40 is the only way, plus you swap OK City for the Dallas-FT Worth metroplex jam.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Right now, the ac doesn't work. I've started to add up the costs and with gas, meals, someplace to stay 4 nights, $100 fee for the frequent flyer miles,I'm withing $50 of the cost to ship it, so I've decided to ship it and work on it here. Thanks Gunner
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've decided to ship it and work on it here.

A very wise decision Jim. If tolls or incidentals didn't get you, imagine the cost if something really went wrong on the trip. Even if it were, say, $200 difference, the wise choice would be to ship it. All that is moot if you're looking for an adventure, of course!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Wise decision. From CA/AZ border to first town of Barstow CA it's 150 miles of desert with some good up and down hills. The climb up to Flagstaff can be tolling too. And just generally people drive like they just robbed a bank. The speed limit is 75mph. And Oklahoma could fix their roads, they are RRRRough. Hey and anyway, I 40 is floating away in TN.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post