Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    They Aren't All Unaware!
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

They Aren't All Unaware!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Harvard is a Greek word for anal thinking.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Sometimes my unconscious mind makes connections I don't understand. Ms. Goldson's speech & the ensuing commentaries here remind me of a conundrum I faced as a human resources manager in a large biomedical research institution.

We occasionally encountered individuals with stellar academic qualifications who seemed incapable of applying them in the real world of the research environment; despite the fact that so much is arcane in scientific research, it isn't hard to bluff one's way through. The conundrum was explained when I read this quote: "Intelligence is the capacity to apprehend a thing; ability is the capacity to act on that which is apprehended."

Ms. Goldson displays a superior capacity to "apprehend" things, at least things she can retain and regurgitate to the satisfaction of her teachers. So far, her "capacity to act," is only demonstrated by her literate presentation of her pessimistic view of the world in which we all exist.

I hope that, with added maturity, Ms Goldson will demonstrate that she acquired more than just the capacity to assimilate facts and regurgitate them on demand, that she will realize the value of knowledge, and her work ethic. She shows the promise of great things if she demonstrates the capacity to act in that real world she now abhors.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I explain that the difference between an electronics engineer (one of my degrees) and an electronics technician is that the engineer can tell you how something works. He can't however, tell you why it doesn't work...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Sometimes my unconscious mind makes connections I don't understand. Ms. Goldson's speech & the ensuing commentaries here remind me of a conundrum I faced as a human resources manager in a large biomedical research institution.

We occasionally encountered individuals with stellar academic qualifications who seemed incapable of applying them in the real world of the research environment; despite the fact that so much is arcane in scientific research, it isn't hard to bluff one's way through. The conundrum was explained when I read this quote: "Intelligence is the capacity to apprehend a thing; ability is the capacity to act on that which is apprehended."

Ms. Goldson displays a superior capacity to "apprehend" things, at least things she can retain and regurgitate to the satisfaction of her teachers. So far, her "capacity to act," is only demonstrated by her literate presentation of her pessimistic view of the world in which we all exist.

I hope that, with added maturity, Ms Goldson will demonstrate that she acquired more than just the capacity to assimilate facts and regurgitate them on demand, that she will realize the value of knowledge, and her work ethic. She shows the promise of great things if she demonstrates the capacity to act in that real world she now abhors.

Roy, that is Really Good.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
reminds me of some of those "book smart" people who couldn't find the way out unless there was an EXIT sign over the door or had difficulty walking and chewing gum simult..., simulta... sim... at the same time.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
This might be fitting:

BS Degree----We all know what BS stands for

MS Degree----More of the Same

PHD Degree---Pile Higher & Deeper

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Oh OH......this could be turning into a degree-bashing party.

My family is full of advanced degrees, published authors, all the way up to an in-law with a Nobel Prize and a building named after him at UCLA. At gatherings, Susan, I and my ex are often the only ones with mere Bachelor's degrees. They are all eminently practical people, although I am probably the Number Two McGiver. Number One has no degree, but was an incredibly inventive machinist and manufacturer, and did OX-5 work for the Smithsonian, as an example. (Actually, my ex's BF is not terribly practical, but he does OK).

At work, as well as in college, I have run in to both kinds of engineers. I recently was involved in some Beta testing on a fuel cell RV power supply, and one of the engineers was an absolute pleasure to talk to. He was young, but really had a lot of practical, useful knowledge, and we learned a lot from each other.

So, in (at least partial) defense of education, I have to say that there are all kinds of degreed professionals out there. Some are practical, some are purely academic and some are in-between. Living in an aerospace town, a lot of my friends and neighbors are rocket scientists. They run the full gamut from superb aircraft homebuilders to those who can't put batteries in a flashlight without cross-threading the cap. I actually sabotaged a flashlight belonging to one of the latter on a camping trip, and he was totally lost at troubleshooting it. And yet, he could deal with paper and circuit diagram situations superbly.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Hey! It's all in fun.....

My wife and I are ones to talk....my field was mechanical engineering but never practiced. I went into insurance from college and been there 25 years...she's a corporate attorney who is now a stay-at-home-mom....we are late...VERY late in life parents to 3 boys under 4....

My oldest brother was a perfect example....a masters level civil engineer who had no common sense....too darn smart for his own good....all of us kids were raised on the farm but for some reason he never seemed to "get it".

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
Hey! It's all in fun.....

Of course. Food for thought, too.

quote:
parents to 3 boys under 4....

OH MY GOD!

I had my hands full with two five years apart.

quote:
...all of us kids were raised on the farm but for some reason he never seemed to "get it".

That's an interesting observation. In the Army, when things got sticky, farm boys were usually the best at getting things right again. Hillbillies were the best shots, particularly at moving targets, and Indians were the best spotters of people hiding in the bushes. Interestingly, one of my sons went through both Army and Navy sniper schools, and I asked him about Indians, and he said he had none in either of his classes.

At the airline, farm boys were often the most innovative when a disaster had to be undone.

OH OH...thread drift.

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Say what you want about degrees, but I hit the glass ceiling in my late 30s. A MS later and I was recruited to be a company President. A degree has no bearing on intelligence or practical knowledge, but it certainly teaches a level of discipline and protocol.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Harry S. Truman

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Papasergia
posted Hide Post
I thought a PHD was a Post Hole Digger

Posts: 18 | Location: Bakersfield | Member Since: 03-11-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
To best use what you learned in school, you have to respect what others learned in their 'schools' whether it was college or the school of hard knocks. My #1 rule is "Never take yourself too seriously." My #2 rule is "When in doubt, refer to rule #1."

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I always ran operations under the Three Rules of the SIberian Salt Mines:

1. Don't take yourself too seriously

2. Don't take the other guy too seriously

3. Never get into a stinking contest with a skunk

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
3. Never get into a stinking contest with a skunk
I'm pretty sure this one had to do with an elephant and a bodily function.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm pretty sure this one had to do with an elephant and a bodily function

or..."You better have long legs if you want to"...do that..."with the big dogs."

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post