English as a First Language
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Easy to "get" guidelines.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I just returned from two weeks in Mexico and observed that many of their schools work very hard at teaching their kids English, harder that many American schools work at teaching English to Hispanic kids. It would seem that Mexico has replaced 'political correctness' with 'practicality'.
J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
I wish that those who come here would learn THE language. Instead, it appears that the Mexicans, and Cubans, and anyone else who arrives and lives under the good old stars and stripes expects you to learn THEIR language. In their own community its ok, like Chinatown, little Italy, Greektown, etc. but I think that they SHOULD be able to communicate in English.

My personal beef, down here (especially where we live) it is VERY difficult to get a half way decent job (ie bank tellers) unless you are bilingual. You have be able to speak Spanish to cash their checks so they can send their money home to their native country. head bang

It's great to see them attempting to teach the language in the school system, but, pretty soon they will discover that they don't really need to know how to speak our language, as we will cater to them in their language.

Gotta get off this soap box.

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
jim did u take your motorhome into mexico ?

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
No, I was too afraid of getting hijacked and shot by the drug gangs. Did go to Copper Canyon though, but not via the rail line that used to take motor homes there.
Drank several gallons of margaritas while there, along with a bunch of black Russians and some Drambuie. And I actually remember where I went.
An old buddy of mine and I went together. He and I have known each other for 68 years. Sort of a bucket list thing. After our group figured out we were not 'an item', we had a blast. Actually, it was a blast watching them try to figure us out. Big Grin
J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
BTW, the other reason was that the Barth still is in several pieces, including the main gas tank sitting on the floor. I've got to get that da**** lazy mechanic in gear.
J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Maybe if you could keep him away from the margaritas, black russians, an drambuie you could get some work out of him! Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Barth still is in several pieces, including the main gas tank sitting on the floor. I've got to get that da**** lazy mechanic in gear.
Are you sure you want to stick to that last line Jim? Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Jim on 10-24-2009:
Not to steal Tere's thread, but she DOES love working on the Barth. Right now she has the gas tank laying on the ground, the carburetor en route to be rebuilt, the fuel pump on the bench, and most of the gas lines in the trash.
hide

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Said 'Tongue in cheek' of course or maybe 'Foot in mouth', based on the mood of the mechanic that day. It's me, the sidewalk superintendent that does all the beverage consumption
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B