Tools
Reply To This Topic

The 'thing' about Barths
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I've owned a bunch of motor homes, from Monaco Dynasty's, to Callista Class C's. And there have been 4 Barths in there. There's just something about a Barth. Maybe it's the incredible aluminum structure. Or perhaps the aluminum siding and roof. Or the beautiful woodwork inside. Or, 'the look'. I'm not as old as Carl Flack, but I'm getting there. So, I hope there's one more Barth in the future. And it just may be that once this Corona thing is under control, that one last Barth will find it's way to my garage. Tooling Along
Hum (aka Jim)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding one that suits you. I have one of the newest coaches, now 23 years old. Most are pushing 30 yrs or more. Mine needed tires, ACs, brakes, air bags and engine work and it was reasonably well taken care of. I have way more into it than I could ever get selling it.

My 86 Regal was a good coach and I liked it. I put an enormous amount of time and money into it, as you know. It is probably one of the most mechanically sound Barths in existence. Yet when I sold it, it still needed major restoration of the body skirts. I lost more when I sold it than I paid for it.

In good condition, yes, they were great coaches, better than most. However, Barth's use of steel in the skirt framing and basement cargo bays was really an Achilles heel that is a serious issue now. Many have become money pits needing more time and money than buyers have.

Those that have been well maintained are still being used and usually not for sale. The others are often sitting somewhere being neglected. Fewer and fewer buyers have ready cash and the ability and patience to resurrect them. We have seen less and less buyer interest as time goes on. Most sellers do not get what they are asking. Financially, old motor homes of any type are not a good investment.

Reminds me of a 57 Chevrolet. Those of us who saw them new still find them interesting but few modern buyers are willing to pay much, especially for those that need any work.

I wish you well in your quest but sadly, nostalgia does not usually reward the buyer.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure the younger generations, generally speaking, have the mechanical aptitude to feel the burn of the challenge to undertake the repair and maintenance of a vintage motorhome. Have you attended any local vintage muscle car shows lately. The crowd is well acquainted with Father Time. And the car owners know all too well - their grandkids don't even look up from their phones when grandpa rolls up. Most of the owners agree they should sell while some market remains - otherwise their children will realize grandpa was loosing his mind as to the car's value.

Fortunately we have this great site loaded with archived maintenance and repair advice. And worse case scenario, get buried in your coach - have you priced the cost of caskets lately.

And if I hit my head one more time on that damn TV I won't have to worry about finding a buyer. head bang

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Nose was pretty much a derelict when I got her, after almost 3 years of replacing, repairing, upgrading and 3 times what I paid for nose, I believe she is at last reliable.

Although the love and time put into her is nowhere near what Steve put into his Regal, I too will not recover anywhere near the investment. Ya know what...I do not care, Nose has caused me some of the most interesting times a retired guy can have. Met a bunch of interesting folks on this site, at campgrounds and auto parts stores who share similar interest. Well exclude some folks from Minnesnowta that send me river water!!!!!

Hope to enter into an exciting summer!!! Get a Barth have a blast!!!

I do watch a lot of TV car shows. It seems to me younger folks today, still like older stuff, but only want to buy it if it has been restored to above show room status or is a cool hot rod. They also seem to have enough money to buy it for 100 times the initial price. The world has changed.

My Grandson just turned 16 and wants my 95 Miata, but he thinks I should put a new top on it and have the interior upgraded, before I "GIVE" it to him....Ya I am gonna to do that!!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2046 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I had mentioned Carl Flack in an earlier post. I'm delighted to say I just heard from Carl and while he's gone through some tough health situations, and no longer does any motor home activity, he's still kicking. We old guys are hard to keep down.

Hum (aka Jim)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Did not mean to be too negative but it is easy to get in over one's head financially with these coaches. In spite of the money I spent (and lost) on the coaches, I put 45,000 happy miles on my 86 Regal, made lots of excellent really good friends and had great times. I have 25,000 miles on the Monarch and I'm looking forward to many more.

Staying put here in Florida for now. Michigan is a mess. One positive case right across the street from my house. Not too many around here. Maybe head home in early May, maybe later.

Have Barth, will travel, eventually Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have Barth, will travel, eventually

Steve what a shame you are stuck in Florida!! Wish I was that unlucky, enjoy it professor.

Lets hope things open up for June in Minnesnowta, sure would enjoy seeing you again. We might get to work on our enterprise "carburetor
optimizing. Maybe I will take the Covid19 distribution and purchase a TBI. I like that Holley stealth system, perhaps we could install it!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2046 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
We've been without a coach for a year and a half . We are looking forward to finding the right Barth . I prefer to buy one that has been well loved and maintained with a long history on Barthmobile .

We owned our Bluebird for five years and are members of Wanderlodge Owners Group where we have met wonderful friends . Everyone was able to read about our adventures and repairs or upgrades to the coach . When we made the tough decision to sell , I only posted it on WOG . Within 24 hours we had 3 serious buyers contact us . It sold in 72 hours to a fellow outside of Detroit who had been monitoring WOG to purchase a coach just like ours .

I have faith that the coach for us will come along and we will continue to care for it as the current owners do .

Hope everyone is well and are able to get back to enjoying your coaches soon . Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Harrold, Cat and Sam. Keep the faith got to be your dream machine somewhere!

P30 chassis
350 engine