Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    A Name for [unnamed puppy] - A poll!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A Name for [unnamed puppy] - A poll!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
On another thread, I introduced my new Golden Retriever puppy, who's not yet been named. Because he's going to stand in the departed Maggie Mae's paws, a good name for him is important.

But folks need to know that Maggie was at death's door 3 times in the past 4 years, so Casey and I were preparing for her loss, yet she survived, and relieved, we tabled the need for another Golden. However, Maggie Mae, 8/28/96-8/24/10, left us, and today we got that new little Golden.

Because Maggie has scared us repeatedly in the past that she would need replacement, Casey and I kept track of Goldens available, both from breeders and rescue. And we discussed the name of this new guy (who would definitely be a male). The name that arose most often was "Nelson". This had attraction because I hadn't heard that name for a dog before, and because a name would be meaningful if there were an affinity with its owner's past and present. Most of you know I'm a retired swabbie, and have interests in Barths, model railroading, and astronomy.

"Nelson" (Admiral Lord Sir Horatio Viscount Nelson) was the most succesful naval commander, ever. U. S. Naval Officers wear gold buttons on service dress uniforms with three cannonballs, signifying Nelson's greatest victories, at The Nile, Copenhaven, and of course, Trafalgar. The black neckties worn by virtually all countries' naval officers are in perpetual mourning for Nelson, who died of wounds at Trafalgar.

But ayway, we've had some spirited debates in the chatroom about what [unnamed puppy] should be named, so Casey and I decided to open the floor (on which [unnamed puppy] has already peed and pooped) to a democratic vote. Note however, that "Nelson" has a naval flair, and I was a squid, so Casey and I reserve the right of Final Choice, despite the appearance of democracy. It will be tough to unseat "Nelson", but we offer this poll:

Question:
What name should [unnamed puppy] get?

Choices:
Nelson
Benson
Ryder
Magneto
Stellar
Skippy
Stellar
Rudder
Mickey
Bocephus
Beaudreaux
Barthy
August ("Augie")
Frankie
Gimlet
Chief
Jones ("Casey and Jones")

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Nelson" (Admiral Lord Sir Horatio Viscount Nelson) was
....a British naval officer, whom I think fought against the colonists in their battle for freedom from English tyranny. I guess Farragut wouldn't fit well for a dog and John Paul might be a little long. USA ! USA! USA !

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, all of Nelson's notable actions were fought agains the French, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, and others, although he did capture some individual American ships.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

First of all, my condolences re: Maggie. Glad I got to meet her earlier this year.

As a matter of fact, that leads to a suggestion for naming the New Kid on the Block. What about 'Milford', which ties things in to the last place a lot of us got to see Maggie.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, we had a great ride together.

Her last trip was to Shady Pines RV Park, for a star party; she's been a fixture at over 40 star parties (I park, open the door, no one says, "Hi" to me it's always "Where are Maggie and Casey?".

MR likes Milford.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Condolences on your loss, Rusty. We met her at the Massachusettes Rally a year ago, and she was a sweety.
Don and Patty

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Captain Doom

Posted 08-27-2010 09:14 PM Hide Post
Actually, all of Nelson's notable actions were fought agains the French

.at the time, weren't the ugh, French allies of the new nation USA ?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my last comment on this topic....
Rusty, name your new pup whatever you and Casey see fit, afterall he is your buddy and you and Casey are going to be living with him every day. Good luck and God bless. Dick.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Nelson is a good name, it is a waterdog with webbed feet and he seems to be an adventurer so a sea captains name is fitting. Plus you can call it out loud without problems. But you have to like it. otherwise he will end up like my friends "cat" (the cat). Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
quote:
Captain Doom

Posted 08-27-2010 09:14 PM Hide Post
Actually, all of Nelson's notable actions were fought agains the French

.at the time, weren't the ugh, French allies of the new nation USA ?

Indeed, but Nelson missed action against the pivotal French participation (Battle of the Chesapeake, the victorious French deGrasse vs. British Graves), Nelson indeed was in the West Indies for a time, but returned to England due to health reasons.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Added "Newton" (as in Sir Isaac, creator of the reflecting telescope: "Newtonian"), and "Dobson" - after the inventor of the "Dobsonian" features for a Newtonian scope.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Rusty: Sorry For your loss. I'm pleased to say I have met Maggie several times and can say I'm one of the few who can say she peed in my yard..........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's a mark of mutual respect - in Dog Years, Maggie was 91...she called you "Junior" Big Grin

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Tim&Gayle
posted Hide Post
I have alway's Liked D.O.G. (deoogee) we had a little shitsue it was a fun name and i think she liked it everybody thought it was a french name Smiler lol

alex my grandson
we snuck away over the
holidays for a little fun

Posts: 89 | Location: orlando florida | Member Since: 04-23-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Had a friend shit a shitzu. I asked her if it was a bull shitzu or a cow shitzu

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post