posted Hide Post
TARRAGON SHALLOT EGG SALAD SANDWICHES

For egg salad:

8 large eggs

1/2 cup mayonnaise

3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots

1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon, or to taste

2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar or white-wine vinegar
(some of the selection of vinegar will depend on the tarregon used. We grow our own and use the white-wine vinegar)

1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Cover eggs with cold water by 1 inch in a 2-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a rolling boil, partially covered. Reduce heat to low and cook eggs, covered completely, 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and let eggs stand in hot water, covered, 15 minutes. Transfer eggs with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water and let stand 5 minutes (to cool). Peel eggs and finely chop.

Actually, any hard-boiled eggs will do. This is our technique and we find it results in eggs easiest to peel.

Stir together eggs and remaining salad ingredients in a bowl with a fork.

Assemble sandwiches:

Spread some mayonnaise (if using) on bread or toast and make sandwiches.. Open face is often preferred, as the salad doesn't squeeze out when you bite it. Open face is also fewer carbs. We generally prefer whole grain bread, but for this application, sourdough or even white bread interferes less with the flavor.

A little fresh-ground black pepper on top peps it up, if desired.

We sometimes mix in a little chicken breast meat in this, and it seems to require no adjustment of the other ingredients. Smoked game hen or trout adds a little more flavor, but could require a little adjustment of ingredients, depending on your individual taste.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The Paul Simon song "Mother and Child Reunion" was from an egg-chicken salad sandwich at a deli that Paul frequented in NYC, or so I've read.
Back in the day when we could limit out on Florida lobster before lunch nearly every day, we would always grill more than enough tails for supper and use the leftover lobster meat for everything, including egg salad sandwiches. Unfortunately, those days seem to be gone.
We will, however, be bringing some pickled quails eggs to the Fla. GTG, for those adventurous enough to try them.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
The Paul Simon song "Mother and Child Reunion" was from an egg-chicken salad sandwich at a deli that Paul frequented in NYC, or so I've read.

NY delis have the best egg salad in the world. Susan says Phillie, so I dunno.......

quote:
We would always grill more than enough tails for supper and use the leftover lobster meat for everything, including egg salad sandwiches.

Geeze, I hope Susan doesn't read that. She buys too much lobster already. Frowner

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Asparagus Crudites
With Mayonnaise Verte

1 to 2 pounds thin Asparagus, trimmed
2 cup packed fresh flat leafed parsley leaves (I prefer cilantro)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or to taste
2 cup mayonnaise

Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water. Ina large saucepan of boiling salted water blanch asparagus 1 minute and transfer with tongs to ice wate4r to stop cooking. Drain asparagus well in a colander and pat dry.
Asparagus may be blanced 1 day ahead and chilled in a sealable plastic bag.
Wash and dry parsley and in a blender puree with oil, lemon juice and mustard until smooth. Stir puree into mayonaisse and season with salt and pepper.
Serve mayonnaise with asparagus for dipping.
Serves 4.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
A lot of liquid food here. cheers But if there is a chocoholic here is an easy recipe for the
MOST dangerous chocolate cake in the world...

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons flour (plain)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons choco chips (optional)
small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well. Add egg, milk and oil, mix well. add chips and extract, mix.
Put your mug into microwave and cook 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but do not be alarmed. Allow to cool a little and tip onto plate if desired. Can serve 2 if you want to. Dangerous? Now we are all only 5 minutes away from choco cake at any time! Thumbs Up

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Wow. Flour, Sugar and Chocolate.

All it is missing is alcohol to make the four basic food groups.

When I make it, I will throw in some crème de menthe, which will round out the four basic food groups and add my favorite chocolate enhancement.

since our MW does not have a selectable watt setting, do you have any hints on where to start on time? My general rule for microwaving is, "If it smells good, it's done." but I'm not sure that would apply to baking.

We are solar, but I see more genset runtime in our future over this. Smiler

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
since our MW does not have a selectable watt setting, do you have any hints on where to start on time?
Bill, check the MW handbook, yours probably puts out 1000 watts max, so it wold just be set on high for 3 minutes.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Bill, check the MW handbook, yours probably puts out 1000 watts max,

Nick

They only tell me how much power it consumes, which is 1600 watts. No mention of output. The power level selection just changes the on/off time at full power.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From McBarth: (Moved by Rusty)

Cracker Candy (Tastes like a Heath Bar Thumbs Up)

Ingredients: Oven 375°
Saltine or Club Crackers (We prefer Club)
1 cup butter (not margarine or light margarine)
1 cup brown sugar
12 oz. pkg. semi sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)

Line an 11x17 jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) with regular foil. Line this with
crackers (1 layer). Melt butter and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Pour over crackers and bake for 8 minutes at 375 watching that edges don't burn. Meanwhile melt chocolate chips. When cracker and mixture are finished remove from oven and pour melted chocolate over top and spread evenly. Cool then refrigerate until set. Break into pieces. ENJOY!

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post

makes about 30

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 3 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest (2 to 3 lemons)
8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling

1) preheat oven to 375° F. Bring lemon juice to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, cook until reduced by half. Add 1 (one) stick butter, stir until melted.
2) Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Cream remaining stick butter and 1 cup sugar in separate bowl. Mix in egg and lemon butter. Mix until pale, about 3 min. Mix in vanilla and 2 tsp zest. Mix in flour and poppy seeds.
3) stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp zest. Roll spoonfuls of dough into 1 1/4 inch balls, roll them in sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Press each with the flat end of a glass dipped in sugar mix until 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with seeds.
4) bake until just browned around bottom edges, 10 to 11 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, let cool completely. Store in airtight container up to one week.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
And Cloudy says "Those are really good, Yummy"

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tim&Gayle
posted Hide Post
My brother was a cook on "The Independence" before it was decommissioned he brought back what he called "shoreline eggs" I cook it to this day and always is a breakfast hit
*2 large can's cream of chicken soup
*1/4 or less can of milk
*12 eggs
mix soup and milk put it in a big skillet
add the eggs don't break the yoke cover with the soup slide a spoon under them from time to time so they don't burn cook them slow till done and server over biscuits or toast "YUM" Smiler Almost like S&^t on a shingle ROTFLMAO

alex my grandson
we snuck away over the
holidays for a little fun

Posts: 89 | Location: orlando florida | Member Since: 04-23-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know if anyone does gazpacho here, but this hot weather here and a bumper crop of tomatoes has caused us to fiddle the 2nd gazpacho recipe a little, mainly a different olive oil replacing Kirkland Extra
Virgin. So, FWIW, the post has been edited to include the changes.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Love the recipes! Here is a blender that comes up on eBay from time to time that got us through two colleges and hundreds of parties. http://kitchencollectiblegold....015A0061115090876361
It has always been great. We bought two and extra glass containers just in case - one for the Barth and one for the home.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bumpity. java

Jamaican Jerk Jerky

I've been messing with this scratch recipe for a couple of years, with Nick Cagle (A Fellow of the American Academy of Jerky Connoisseurs) gracious enough to test and critique it as it evolved. A meat slicer and electric dehydrator make jerky much easier than other methods.

Jerky Meat

I use beef, and look for a roast with the grain running lengthwise.

~3 to 4 lbs. cheap roast, about 2" thick and 4-6" wide. (You'll have to trim off the fat; the cheap cuts have less).

Place in the freezer for about 1-2 hrs (makes it easier to cut).

Slice into ~1/8" strips across the grain (makes the jerky more tender and able to absorb the marinade better).

Marinade

Mix in a 2 or 3 qt. well-sealing, covered, plastic bowl.

2 oz. Liquid Smoke
4 oz. Soy Sauce
4 oz. Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBS Garlic Powder
1 TBS Onion Powder
6 oz. Lemon Juice
2 oz. Lime Juice
4 TBS Ground Cayenne Pepper
4 oz. Tabasco
1 TBS Red Wine Vinegar

Place the meat strips into the marinade, then into the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Every 6 hours, flip the bowl and agitate the mix.

After the meat has soaked long enough, remove the strips, drain lightly on a paper towel, and place on the dehydrator racks, leaving space between strips. "Cook" at 195° for 24 hours. (Actually with jerky, the marinading does the cooking).

Alternatively, the meat can be placed on cookie sheets and dried in an oven set on the lowest setting, and with the door propped open 1/4" or so to allow the moisture to escape. Some dehydrators only go up to 135° or so, so the jerky can be finished in the oven for 6 hours.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post