Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hieroglyphics vs emoji
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted

My feelings exactly, with all the hi-tech to correct spelling, sentence structure, and more, we can not express ourselves with out including bunches of hieroglyphics/emoji or are we just trying to be cute?!

Have I used this hieroglyphics/emoji, YES, but I am getting very tired of all the hieroglyphics/emoji that keep popping up as I type email or text. Can't even find a way to delete them in the folder created by the authors of these programs in my phone.

When the first smiley face showed up many years ago, was cute but who would have known it is becoming a principle way of expressing ourselves?!?!

End of rant Deadhorse

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
we can not express ourselves with out including bunches of hieroglyphics/emoji or are we just trying to be cute?!

Don't think we're trying to be cute. The art of communicating using the written word, is slowly being lost. Has something to do with what I and others call 'The dumbing down of America'. And that's the end of my rant.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
hmm Thumbs Up ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

(Sorree I cud not hep misef. I aint dumm u no)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey, I use them, too. Actually think I'm dumber than I was 60 years ago. Frowner Confused Hide Deadhorse Shields Up wack

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
As an educator for most of my life I can relate to the "dumbing down of America." Through the years I have watched as those who demonstrate academic achievement have been labelled as nerds, etc.
In a world of increasing complexity, where foreign competition for high end jobs, where foreign students learn second languages (ie English) and math and physics by 6th grade, our students are allowed to languish in ignorance and do not seem concerned.
The majority of PHD candidates in our colleges were not born in this country.
Meanwhile our reaction to this seems to focus on keeping these people out rather than stepping up to the challenge.
This is also tied to what I call "the age of entitlement." "I showed up, just give me my share..."

I dont know where we are headed but it makes me nervous.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont know where we are headed but it makes me nervous.

Well said Steve, The few real good brains in U.S. young folks, migrate towards Video Games, Hacking, and Terrorism. God help us and the future of this country.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
Wow what a wonderful topic Wrench. So much food for thought about where we came from and where we are headed.

I can only speak for myself. I sit here today, older, and thinking of all the opportunity I have had throughout my life. All the different jobs I have had, and all the experiences life has afforded me. And not the least bit sorry about my station in life. (I never missed a meal and have always had a roof over my head).

Yes there are some experiences that I have had and wish now I had taken more advantage of. As many of us in all probability wish we had.

Glyphics or Emoji it matters not to me as long as I have the gift to understand the language. Smiler cheers Thumbs Up head bang Computer Deadhorse confusion Sleeping

Sorry couldn't find the glyphs buttons on my puter. But I am a fan of Ancient Aliens. Cool

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
In the past few years I have asked numerous people over the age of 60 (who were in good health) the following question:
"If you could wake up tomorrow 20 years old (without memory of your previous life) would you take it?"

NOT ONE has answered yes...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve,you can add me to your "No" list. I grew up in the 40s and 50s and feel very fortunate that I did.

From a little different perspective and if you want an interesting read, try C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve, the key factor is "without memory" Now if I still retained me being me, well then I would not hesitate and take the offer. I would love to get rid of these lingering aches and pains. But again if that means not having my kids and grand kids and a Barth , wait, I agree I would not take the offer either!!! Tooling Along Thumbs Up

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post