Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    How many of you have "Autumn" as your XP desktop...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How many of you have "Autumn" as your XP desktop...
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: PL77
posted
For those of you who use or have used "Autumn" as your XP desktop, here's a Vanity Fair article where the author decided to figure out where in the world the picture was taken.

I won't give away the ending...

Autumn and the Plot Against Me

Warning, the following are spoilers for *AFTER* you finish the article Smiler

Here is the original image, and here is the same image in winter.

And finally, here is the location of Autumn on Google Maps.

Hope you all enjoy the article. Yay for Digg.

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I REALLY enjojed the article

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I've been in the area numerous times on the motorcycle. There is a little breakfast place in Campbellville called The Ice House popular with the vintage bike crowd. It is a scenic area of the Niagara Escarpment.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Both photos show a lane with a building at the end, both photos show a similar whatsit of vertical boards at the end of the lane, both have similar trees on either side of the lane. The photos closely resemble each other, but they are not the same location.

Here's why: The first tree on the right is similar in both photos, but the "autumn" photo shows a rail fence on the right before that tree while the "winter" photo shows no rail fence on the right at all, only posts for a wire fence beyond that tree.

The thick branching tree on the left in the autumn photo is in the foreground, nearer to the photographer than the first tree visible on the right. A similar branching tree in the winter photo is further away from the photographer than the first tree on the right.

If you zoom into the photos you find a pile of rocks or trash in front of the building at the end of the autumn photo, while the lane passes through the building in the winter photo.

Similar views, similar photos, but not the same place.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: PL77
posted Hide Post
Interesting commentary, olroy, but you have to remember that at least 8 years elapsed between the time the two photos were taken, which could account for the change in fencing and removal of junk by the barn.

As for different branching, even in tree land 8 years can allow for some significant changes, especially in fast growing species like maple.

Part of me does like to think that the true location is still out there somewhere, hidden, and for sale at a ridiculously low price.

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The scenes are eerily similar. If the winter shot is the most recent, eight years could account for most of the differences. Nobody would build a new rail fence like the one in autumn scene, except perhaps for a movie set. The winter scene was shot from a greater distance, but zoomed to a similar size of the background building, the winter trees appear smaller. That could be explained by different camera lenses. I'm not satisfied one way or the other.

In any event, it's obvious I have too much time on my hands. I, too, would like to think the true location is still out there somewhere hidden. For sale at a ridiculously low price? Fat chance.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post