Barthmobile Portal
"It's Always Something!"

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6141087061/m/2991062023

11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Tom and Julie
"It's Always Something!"
If your pump is breaking shafts check the alignment of the pulley with the engine drive pulley. You might have a mounting bracket or bolt causing misalignment. I have seen people place washers under a bracket to make a long bolt work rather than get the proper bolt. A slight misalignment will cause torque on a shaft sufficient to break it.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny
11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Rusty
Thanks. The alignment is right on. Checked it.

quote:
I've got to believe you've wracked your brain on this, but it seems there must be a more insidious cause of these failures. A bad drive gear, improper backlash, poor lubrication, something. Any thought to that direction?

Everything appears to be normal.

New pump core is from NAPA, so now I have a place to at least get a rebuild kit. I should be on the road in 20 minutes.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
11-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Moonbeam-Express
Good luck Rusty.

I'm curious, can it be steered without the PS or is it beyond human strength???

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
11-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Patch1st
quote:

New pump core is from NAPA, so now I have a place to at least get a rebuild kit. I should be on the road in 20 minutes.

Well were ya? Update?

(curious minds like to know)

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"
11-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Rusty
I took pains to bleed the system thoroughly before leaving Conyers, and everything has gone well for the 300 miles since the repair.

I had a nice stay at FDR State Park with the Cagles and the Good Sam group of which Nick is the Wagonmaster. I finally arrived around 3:15 PM Friday.

Last night we did Fantasy in Lights; very nice.

I'm now at DAV; Mr. Septic, Jr., is supposed to put in the system tomorrow. Leave Tuesday for home, then prep for the Hillsborough GTG.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields