Tools
Reply To This Topic

"It's Always Something!"
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
NOV '08 The sluggish engine turnover was solved back in September. Earlier this month, the engine would turn over normally, then finally start after about 15 seconds, accompanied by a bunch of white smoke and a couple of seconds of stumbling. The 6.5L TD uses a lift pump (fuel pump) with a relay that engages it when the key is turned to "start"; when oil pressure builds to 4-5 psi, the oil pressure sender switch powers it.

I decided the symptoms were probably caused by leak-back through the lift pump with a second possibility the relay wasn't powering it on "start". It's 16 years old, so replacing it with the coach on its pad is easier than on a road shoulder somewhere, and the PO had a spare aboard.

I didn't notice its location when I installed the genset fuel tank.

Naturally it was on a crossmember obstructed by the tank. So the coach is up on the ramps, the waste tank drains are off, the tank came down, and the pump is on the workbench. However, the spare isn't the right one. Off to NAPA for the right one...

Start putting 'er back together tomorrow or Monday (Sunday is NFL time). Still have to find that damned relay.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Boy, am I lucky!! Picked up the 85 Regal in Prescott, Arizona, sight unseen, in 04. Drove 1800 miles w/o incident. Used it three years and it only stopped once due to the little filter in the Q-jet. Must admit there were maintenance things like brakes and tranny stuff, but it has been very nice to me. Good thing. Physically and mentally, I'm not in shape to be a mechanic.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
picked up 86 regency last oct on sat left to go to s.c. had to get jumped by the motor pool weak alt. (replaced when i got home) .. Parris Island daughter graduated ,, went to dega next ... just ran cruise at 2200 rpms before shut down all was well havent had any other traveling problems . other than a drainage problem(coach bat) that i still havent figured out

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't consider the things that have broken to be unusual; I will have driven the coach 36K miles by the time I've owned it 3 years next January), and the chassis will be 17 years old by that time. The PO took very good care and kept meticulous records.

It's never left me stranded; the only breakdown was a belt, and that was an hour - 55 minutes cooldown, and 5 minutes on the belt.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Epilogue: It was worthwhile to replace the lift pump, as it was dead. I relocated the new one to a frame rail, where replacement will take 20 minutes instead of 8 hrs.

Reinstall the genset fuel tank and waste drain lines tomorrow, and the DEC GTG won't be entertained by the puff-of-white-smoke-without-a-wizard-appearing.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Since I didn't have enough fun and spend enough money replacing the drive shaft, I decided to replace a bad 8D chassis battery today. Still don't know why it takes 2 8D batteries to start that CAT 3208.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Try stickin' a hand crank on the flywheel and getting that thing up to speed. You might have a little more respect for some lead and acid! Wink

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Geeeeze Nick....I drove by the driveshaft shop just today..They had a big sign out front:

"SPECIAL! Today Only! Two FREE 8D batteries with any driveshaft purchase!"

Bad timing huh?..... Frowner head bang Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I replaced the 8Ds in my bus with 2 group 31s. work just fine and are a hell of a lot lighter. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
Could someone explain what 8D's and Group 31's mean. I will probably be needing start batts one day. There are 2 of them!
The coach batts (two) are newer 12 volt deep cycle and I would like to go to four 6 volt golf cart batts some day, but the 6 volt ones are too tall to fit. It would work if I switched their locations on either side of the engine, side for side.
Thanks
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
I replaced the 8Ds in my bus with 2 group 31s. work just fine and are a hell of a lot lighter. Smiler

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Don, Batteries are standardized by physical size. Here is a chart. Note a 8D is 20 3/4x11 1/8x9 7/8 and a group 31 is 13x6 13/18x9 7/16. The group will also tell you where the positive and negative post are located. For years GM and Ford reversed the locations of the post. Hope this is not further confusing.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
And now, after replacing the power steering pump with a factory new one Feb 5, StaRV II is at Springfield (NJ) Truck Center, having another pump installed Frowner.

It died just as I got onto I-287, and I was towed 20 miles to here. I had to bypass the visit to Bill N Y, whose sympathy is apprecialed.

Should be able to restore the rest of the schedule, as I hope to be out of here this afternoon.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
It died just as I got onto I-287, and I was towed 20 miles to here.

Rusty, does a dead PS pump make it totally undrivable, or just more work than you want. I've had ps belts break, last week as a matter of fact, on my work pickup, and it wasn't fun but nothing I couldn't drive. Just wondering.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I put in "Park" to check the belt (although that wasn't really a suspect). When I did that, the valve released pressure on the shaft brake, and that was the end of that, with no way to disengage the brake.

Anyway, the pump suffered a broken shaft, sheared off cleanly, but with a visual indication of a metallurgical flaw.

As for driveability, the Hydroboost and the steering box on my Breakaway is condiderably different from the P30/32. Although the shaft brake stays disengaged until the shift lever is praced in "park" and the valve releases pressure. If this valve were to leak slightly, it could engage the shaft brake while in motion.

Anyway, the Breakaway is a handful with no p/S pump pressure, but manageable enough to get pulled over.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Prepping for an arduous 2.5 mile trip from the Holiday Inn, Suffern, NY, to the Rockland Community College campus Field House tomorrow (actuallly later today).

The repaired P/S pump is working to spec, so I expext no issues Smiler, other than what do I do with the 2 lbs. of fresh shrimp I toted up here for Bill N Y and Linda...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke