Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Tim&Gayle
posted
4Things You Never KnewYour Cell
Phone Could Do

For all the folks with cell phones. (This should be printed and kept in your
car, purse,

and wallet. Good information to have with you.)
There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.
Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for
survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST
Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of
the

coverage area of your mobile network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the

mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for
you,

and interestingly, this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked.
Try it out.

SECOND
Locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good
reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys
are at

home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your
cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home
press

the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will
unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You
could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other
'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors or the trunk).

Editor's Note: Works fine! We tried it out and it unlockedour car over a cell
phone!'

THIRD
Hidden BatteryPower

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370#.Your
cell

phone will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase
in

battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell phone next
time.

FOURTH
How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following Digits on your
phone:
*#06#.A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to
your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

If your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them
this code.

They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the
SIM card,

your phone will be totally useless.. You probably won't get your phone back, but
at

least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does
this,

there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

alex my grandson
we snuck away over the
holidays for a little fun

Posts: 89 | Location: orlando florida | Member Since: 04-23-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
This is great stuff! Thanks so much! Smiler

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I'll be the one to break the bad news on this one. Snopes reports that these are all bogus. I know for sure the unlocking the car door one is for sure not going to work.

From Snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/...ehold/cellphones.asp

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
They don't work on my Verizon either!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I've found too many times that people get mad when you use the truth to correct them, so I just kept my mouth shut on this one till somebody else pointed it out. Another snopes entry explains why the door opener works. You take the cell phone out to the car and I'll call you from in here on my cell phone. You hold your phone up to the door and I'll press unlock while holding it to my cell. The door unlocks! It's magic! No, it would have unlocked anyway because the typical range for a Keyless is 300 feet, and we're only 50 feet apart. The Car didn't pick up the signal from the phone, but from the unlocker itself.
On a related note, I always tick my sister-in-law off when I figure out how those psychic card and number games work.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I thought about just taking a pass on the post because I know in the past correcting someone online can cause hard feelings. The big thing with this info is the fact that someone will be thinking 112 is an emergency number when it isn't.

I hadn't heard about 112 before and looked into it right away. If it did work, I sure as heck want to know that number. As it turns out it isn't exactly the case.

Trust me, I've fallen for false information myself more than once. I'm sure it will happen again. One thing I've found is, the best thing about getting hoodwinked is learning how not to fall for it next time. As The Who said, we won't be fooled again!

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I hate to burst your bubble guys but we tried the key trick on a 2010 Mustang and a 2009 BMW M and it worked. The other cars in the parking lot wouldn't do it but it does work with some.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
If the cell phone deal works then I guess I'll just setup at tape recorder in a parking lot. Then all I'll have to do is play back the tape and open all the car signals I have recorded. Big Grin

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Bones - that thought went around the shop today too. Big Grin It was decided that it won't work because most recorders will only capture frequencies that can be heard by the human ear (or close to it). I think this whole thing shot production in the head this afternoon. We know that car alarms / locks don't work on audio frequencies they work on RF. Some may be infra red - I don't know. So what does a phone do? Does it amplify the radio signal some how? We were within a few hundred yards of the cars. We could not get them to open without the phone at that distance but they opened every time over the phone. Hmmmm.... Like I said before, a lot of the cars wouldn't work. My truck didn't work, but then it's a 1993 with manual locks. ROTFLMAO

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Doug, I know when I first heard about this, there were tons of posts from ppl on the net saying this works, still are. There was even a Mythbusters episode that covered it not long ago, it was busted.

The real test would be doing it from a few miles away. I am sure no keyless remote would work then. If you can't call home from say, the next town over and have it work it isn't a help. Now why a cell phone being close by would extend the range of the remote I can't explain.

I'll have to take a trip to my wife's work. She works for a company that builds most of the remotes used by the auto industy. There was lots of talk about this there a few years ago.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
They don't work on my Verizon either!

Nor mine.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post