Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    First Book Report......
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

First Book Report......
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
.....of the Barthmobile Literary Society:

Normally I don't recommend books to anyone 'cause reading tastes vary so much. In this case however, I think it's a winner for all to pick-up......

The Ride of Our lives - Roadside Lessons of an American Family, by Mike Leonard, ISBN 0-345-48148-8, copyright 2006.

The author is a writer for NBC's Today Show, developing human interest stories & features - this is his first attempt at book writing - hope it's not his last........

Watching his rather eccentric parents grow old in a somewhat stifled environment, he gets the idea to rent two motorhomes and head cross country with his parents & his college-age kids.
....Zero knowledge of RV's, zero mechanical ability and a fear of anyplace non-city kind of sets the stage......starting with a collision with the first gas pump island he encounters.

Written in what I'd describe as a Charles Kuralt/Mark Twain/Robin Williams fashion, it's one of the few books I've ever read that makes one laugh out loud one minute and produce a tear the next.....I'm sorry it had an ending to it........

If ya enjoy human interactions, traveling, motorhomes and a sense of family, you just gotta read this book.....Comes with a DVD to watch after reading, so you really get to know the characters through their own voices & mannerisms.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post