Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Merry Christmas?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Merry Christmas?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted
I intend to offend nobody most of the time but I have a ground gear about poeple grief giving durring the gift giving season over the simple gesture of good will in offering a "Merry Christmas". Mad This year I have unilaterally decided to "Merry Christmas" the hell out of everyone...like it or not. After all, I would not start a public debate over someone offering me a "Happy Hanukkah".

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kris & Tina Jones:
After all, I would not start a public debate over someone offering me a "Happy Hanukkah".

We know a few people who make a point to wish us (and others) a "Happy Hanukkah". I always respond, "And a Merry Christmas to you and your family." with a big smile and a wave. Or with a bilious "Bah Humbug!", depending.

However, when I am the initiator, I wish my Jewish acquaintances a Happy Hannukkah.

One year, a mall had dueling season celebrators. A Jewish group had a giant Menorah and were singing about a dredl while a Christian group was across the court chanting, "Jesus is the Reason for the Season", apparently trying to drown them out. It occurred to me that the Messianic Jews (AKA Jews for Jesus) would complete the event. I guess they would have to sort of stand in the middle. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to those that would like to have a Merry Christmas.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year are commonly used by Thais towards Falangs (Western People) with a lot of smiles and enjoyment.

They are not Christian but have no problems enjoying the season. There are a lot of Xmas trees and lights and Shopping Sales.

The Thai Equal is Makabuda Day (xmas) and Songran (New Year) which involves throwing water on any and everybody in a few day long country wide party. They will also soak Falangs with great glee.

So they share their holiday with others and share in our holidays also. Seems OK to me.

I am getting the feeling that the Age of being OVERLY politically correct is about to come to an end and we can just enjoy who we are and accept that we are NOT all equal but are all special in our own way with our own customs and history.

Anyway

Merry Christmas and Swadee Pee Mai

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
...........What part of CHRISTmas do some people not understand? melekalikamaka to all!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Christmas is a great time of year. I've never understood using the X in place of the word Christ.

I remember my mother asking a store manager about this very topic when I was but a "wee lad". Upon hearing the answer my mother stated that she would never shop there again. The store name? GRANTS

Here is a Wiki on the term X-Mass with a statement saying that it's been in use for over 1000 years as an abbreviation. There is also a Ladies' Home Journal advertisement from 1922 with that usage in it.

I seem to also have a problem with someone wishing me a "Happy Holidays" a few days before Thanksgiving. I ask, "What holiday are you referring too?" The answer has always been "Thanksgiving - of course" to which I respond "Why not just say that?"

Anyway... Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Boxing Day, Seasons Greetings and have a Safe, Prosperous, Healthy and Happy New Years.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I have heard of two explainations for the abreviated. 1. It originated back when Christans were persecuted for their belief and X was a symbol for Christ or Christianity. 2. X referred to the crucifiction or the cross. Maybe "snopes" knows. Buon Natale! Feliz Natal! Feliz Navadad! Merry Christmas! Happy Chanuka! Peace and good will to everyone.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I always considered (perhaps naively) the greetings to be well-intentioned, regardless of the terminology in which they were couched.

Anyway, Merry Christmas

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Saw that last year. It's great
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post