Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Value of Barths going up?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Value of Barths going up?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
When I had my '91 34' Regency appraised last week, I found out that the value of any brand name roadworthy vehicle in existence automatically increases the moment the manufacturer shuts down operations. Apparently, it has something to do with "collector" items, which are appraised differently. According to the man, the supply side of the "supply-demand balance" collapses while demand, whatever it is, drops but remains a positive value. Is there an appraiser out there who can confirm this? Since Barth is now out of business, I know I will want to talk to my insurer.

Semper Fi

Posts: 10 | Location: Canada (Legally) | Member Since: 04-22-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
That is somewhat speculative...especially with an RV.

Unless you are talking exotic cars, most people regard the loss of manufacturer support as a hindrance, rather than creating an exclusive commodity.

There is a huge subjective quality on the part of the general populace as it relates to price thresholds, and although I believe that the quality of a Barth will slow its intrinsic depreciation, I doubt it will reverse it.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the prices on Barth have been dropping like an anvil. I think this is because of the fact that slideouts have been out a few years and you can buy a 1998 32ft Rexhall with a slide for under $50K. Now, I'm not suggesting any of us "enlightened" Barth folks would ever do that, however it does to the average [u]new[/u] RV buyer present a special consideration at least. Another hiderance for Barth is the fact that compared to other coaches there really aren't that many out there. Most folks have never heard of a Barth. I guess we're doing out best to change that.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
The people who know!... Know exactly what they are. Generally I've found those people are driving Prevosts or something similar.

I heard it sumed up by the good folks at Custom Land Yacths. "Thats a fine Motor Coach you have there!"

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I know that on my recent trip to Florida, we had someone comment (all very positive) at every stop. The comments ranged from cute to impressive. I had folks seek out our unit in the Disney campground and ask what it was. Everyone had positive comments. Not bad when you consider the unit is an '84. The only negative was from a woman who thought that is was rather small (it's 25')when compared to the other units. I'm not sure if the comment was really negative. I had a fellow Barth owner search us out at the park. Someone had told him of a unit like his accross the park. His was an '84 30' Regency (I think) with a southwestern motiff paint job. So, my experience has been that people must really like the appearance of the units.
Mike

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Mike,

When you consider the other choices out there on the market for a shorter coach for under $20K there is nothing even close. For the kind of trips we take, our 28ft is perfect. I have said it before, we almost treat the thing as an SUV. And, if I might say so humbly, I can back this baby better than my Toyota Sienna. (much better mirrors)
Oh, and by the way, if you haven't yet, my wife bought one of these wide angle plastic things you put on the rear window and it is just great. I think that a 28 footer is probably as long a coach you can have for them to work or it would be too far away.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post