Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

MCC into Canada --
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
My MCC was on Ebay which a member had posted here so bid and won.
The MCC was at MCR so contacted them and asked them to make it drivable...roadworthy with no rush... ok and next year new tires...
Then found out had prostate cancer...
So for the next three year was/am on Eldorado prostate trial and no MCC activity...
Was going to get it last year but carpenter ants decided to feast on my house... so that ate up $$$$
Finally this year we arrived at MCR and drove into Canada.... Nova Scotia about 2200 miles!

An hour from MCR it broke a air compressor belt
It happened in a rv super center main drivway (trailer sales--no mechanic) the manager contacted a local semi truck repair --so service call to get it going and all the afternoon there getting a belt to fit in 92 heat.
Our GPS died so they told us a short cut cross country towards Detroit---Ambassador bridge!!
However we got lost and ended near Indianapolis.
Ok Days Inn for the night...
Tropical storm Cindy invited me to join her as we drove the ring road northwards!
Learning curve for 35' MCC on that road --- me in center lane. semis on both sides. right mirror aimed at right wheels no curved mirror, air wipers rather ragged.... and I had never drove that size vehicle very farSmiler
But it handled real good...very easy to steer...it likes to run at 55...stable---semis passing didn't faze her movements ..steady as a rock!

We got it into Canada fairly easily and drove up into the Toronto mess then
the next day just outside Ottawa on a Sunday afternoon the coolant went to 220 from its 180
I drove into Canadian Tire (auto super-centers) but was closed so went to A&W in thunderstorm and parked.
Friendly mgr/crew let it stay overnight.
My kid brother was 19 Kilometers away so called him to visit.
He arranged for Diesel service truck the next morning.... mmmmm down in coolant....there was a small leak where the hose had dropped down onto the axle and, over time, had rubbed a small puncture----so the hose was replaced and secured where it wouldn't fail. Five jugs of pre-mixed coolant were added Smiler
Drove home without incident (she doesn't like hillsFrowner )
and the MCC is now in Halifax (HRM)
at Parts for Trucks getting safety inspected..

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Bravo, Doug! Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Life has a way of changing our plans now and then. We hope things remain stable or improve.

It will be good to get the coach some regular use. Sounds like things went well. Good thing you monitor your temps carefully. Good to hear you are back on the road. Is MCR still alive and well? Hopefully we can keep the MCC chassis coaches going a while longer.

Enjoy your coach, keep us posted. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is MCR still alive and well?

MCR is owned by Chris' mother...
They were busy before when Les was alive...everybody was working for MCR.
One brother left to join armed forces and Chris now does FED EX full time--franchise?
So MCR now is winding down.
They were into MCC and FMC motor coaches
There were only 40 or so MCC built
when Barth bought most of them and then built the inside furnishings
and then labelled them as MCC by Barth motor coaches.
An upgrade was the Mueller disk brakes
which Les Hoagland (who was a engineer) and the owner of a MCC,
a Mr, Mueller, designed together when Mr. Mueller complained about the MCC brakes.
Now the oversize Rotors are setup so that the rears pads wear out the most Smiler
MCR acquired the rights from Barth for the steering setup which they licensed to several other RV companies...
The FMC motor coach were more available but a shorter rear gas engine vehicle. (see Yahoo site)
MCR has several FMC for sale and I was led to believe that a price could be easily negotiated....Smiler
MCR still has a hotline for the MCC,
and some of the Barth coaches,
as well as the FMC motor coaches...
where Chris will return your call....

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. I knew the history was convoluted. Too bad there weren't more made, there would be more demand for parts and support. I know the independent suspension MCC chassis was considered one of the best riding coaches.

I hope MCR can continue to support these rare coaches. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post