Tools
Reply To This Topic

ground
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I am enclosing pictures of my elec. box in garage. It is incomplete as i added a grounding rod after installing box. now i have to try to put it in the box but I don't know where to plug it in.
it's a 1/4" grounding wire(copper)
thanks,
tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Tere,
As you can see by the photo, your ground bar in the panel is already grounded by the incoming feed from your other panel that feeds this sub panel. I can't really tell but do you have a grounding locknut on the larger PVC pipe male adapter coming into the panel? That is where your ground wire from the earth ground (ground rod) should be. This grounds the panel itself, where as the ground bar picks up your grounds for the circuit breaker feeds going out.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would leave the grounding rod unattached. Ground should be only at one point.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Tere, You are right in wanting to ground your garage panel... By elec code the ground and neuteral conductors are only allowed to touch each other at your MAIN point of dissconnect (which AINT the garage)... It looks like the neuteral bar that is already there is insulated from the box (that would be correct).. All you'll need to do is install a GROUND buss directly to the panel (metal enclousure).. They are available at any hardware store and if there are no mounting holes in the box you can just use self tappers, or drill through the bottom of the panel and use nuts and bolts to install it anywhere you'd like (inside the box)... I'd recommend where the current GROUND (bare) wires will reach as there should be no splices in that box.... That new buss is where your 1/4" (PROB #8) ground conductor should terminate along with ALL the bare wires in the panel from the other circuits and the house panel.... This is assuming that the house GRND -n- NEUT are properly connected....
SHUT OFF THE GARAGE FROM THE HOUSE FIRST!!! Cool

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Tere, There was probably a long (bout 8x32) screw that came with that box and you may have wondered what it was for.... It may have had a little tag on it that said ground screw... That screw is to "Ground" the neuteral bus to the metal enclousure/ground, and should ONLY be used where that box is your MAIN point of disconnect....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Studying your comments Patch. Stay tuned for ??
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post