Reply To This Topic

Mike Rowe Testifies Before the Senate
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Here.

If you're not familiar with Mike, he's the creator and star of Dirty Jobs, narrates Deadliest Catch, and appears in Ford car commercials.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
One of the truest testimonies ever given. I could not agree with every statement any more. I've been preaching this for years. deadhorse

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I disagree with some of what he says, but my post was turning into a rant. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I disagree with some of what he says, but my post was turning into a rant. Smiler
I'd love to hear your rant on this Bill. Smiler

Myself, I think he hit the nail on the head 100%! Thumbs Up
quote:
I believe we need a national PR Campaign for Skilled Labor. A big one. Something that addresses the widening skills gap head on, and reconnects the country with the most important part of our workforce.

Right now, American manufacturing is struggling to fill 200,000 vacant positions. There are 450,000 openings in trades, transportation and utilities. The skills gap is real, and it's getting wider. In Alabama, a third of all skilled tradesmen are over 55. They're retiring fast, and no one is there to replace them.

Alabama's not alone. A few months ago in Atlanta I ran into Tom Vilsack, our Secretary of Agriculture. Tom told me about a governor who was unable to move forward on the construction of a power plant. The reason was telling. It wasn't a lack of funds. It wasn't a lack of support. It was a lack of qualified welders.

In general, we're surprised that high unemployment can exist at the same time as a skilled labor shortage. We shouldn't be. We've pretty much guaranteed it.

In high schools, the vocational arts have all but vanished. We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative." Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.

In a hundred different ways, we have slowly marginalized an entire category of critical professions, reshaping our expectations of a "good job" into something that no longer looks like work. A few years from now, an hour with a good plumber, if you can find one, is going to cost more than an hour with a good psychiatrist. At which point we'll all be in need of both.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Either get a degree or work at Mcdonalds.
........or the dole
Skilled labor is at a premium.
I hope they were listening and get the ball rolling to solve this problem.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
...I hope they were listening and get the ball rolling to solve this problem.
I don't know if I want the Gov. to "solve this problem"

If it's anything like how they're fixing the housing crisis... it'll cost a million a job to "not fix it". deadhorse

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got a very good point. The gummint just throws money at a problem without any valid guidance.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Well,it's sort of like longing for the 'good old days'. Our society now glorifies super athletes, rock stars, hedge fund managers, and anybody else that makes a 7 figure income. In other words, our god is now money. A close friend travels extensively, has taught in China, India, Russia as well as the U.S. and spent over 30 years in foreign countries. He tells me that the rest of the world now sees the U.S. for what it has become. The Kingdom of Greed. It's not Obama's fault any more than any body else's. We all share a collective guilt because somewhere along the line, instead of seeing guys and gals like most of you, who can do many things well, as our heroes, we've taught our kids to see plumbers and electricians, and carpenters and welders as grunts, taken advantage of by an elitist group of oligarchs. Not to worry, we'll eventually implode and reinvent ourselves because honest hardworking people are still in the majority.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not Obama's fault any more than any body else's. We all share a collective guilt because somewhere along the line, instead of seeing guys and gals like most of you, who can do many things well, as our heroes, we've taught our kids to see plumbers and electricians, and carpenters and welders as grunts, taken advantage of by an elitist group of oligarchs. Not to worry, we'll eventually implode and reinvent ourselves because honest hardworking people are still in the majority.

I don't always agree with Jim and Tere, but I sure do here.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: Jim is the writer of the editorials. I choose to remain silent. No offense meant here, this "stuff" is not my thing. When Jim starts these kind of conversations my eyes glaze over & my mind starts to drift to what we will have for dinner or did I turn the coffee pot off, or feed the dogs....

Tere of Jim & Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I can see by the amount of people trying to get "out" of the US right now how right the Chinese, Russians, and Indians nono hmm are java hmm

Bush was WAyyyyyy ahead of the curve putting up that fence between Mexico and us. It's actually to keep people "in" ROTFLMAO right...............

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be too hard on today's kids. Look who raised them. The vast majority of adult Americans never actually raised their kids. They let the television do that for them. I remember when my kids were young I always went to parents' night. Often I was the only man there. I never saw more than 10 adults in a class of 30 or so kids. Most of the kids had mothers that worked so they could drive a Lexus ar Benz. That was more important than kid time. When I coached Little League most of the parents would just drop their kids off and leave. They would show up an hour after practice was over and expect us coaches to be there babysitting their kids for them. The way these kids were raised it's a wonder any of them are normal. I am saying this strictly from experience.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! Doug, how right you are.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
Jim, Doug, I could not have said it any better. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU GUYS SAID.
Tommy

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I find it particularly amusing that a professional actor, who graduated from college with a Communications Degree, who was by all accounts a starving middle aged actor until he landed a gig with the shopping network QVC, is representing American Trade workers hmm To me, this is akin to getting my political advice from Madonna and Brad Pitt or my parenting advice from the Octomom nono
Well, gotta go, I need to call Sig Hansen to ask some advice on my 401K.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post