Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    There I was...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

There I was...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
We made our third installment of shakedown cruises and this one was a lot more eventful and now the coach is in for servicing. It didn't blow the engine or anything catastrophic concerning the coach. We did almost have catastrophe strike concerning our lives.

I had a new 26" widescreen installed by a big box electronics chain and WOW, what a difference. We spent the night at the first place we ventured to after we bought the coach and, of course, it ended with dinner and a movie on the new TV. On Sunday morning, I got the coach ready for travel while my wife attended to other matters, you know, last minute shopping for Father's Day cards and presents. After morning festivities, we headed towards Denver to meet my brother and sister and go see my father. As we were cruising down the highway through the cone zones and, let me venture off this thread for a moment.

Colorado is known for its four seasons - June, July, August and Construction. Wait a minute, here it is June and we're still heavily into the construction season. Actually, I always tell people that Colorado is known for the four seasons of June, July, August and Winter!

Back to the original intent of this thread. I was cruising down I-25 and noticing that this coach is leaning a bit too much in the curves so I better have the air bags checked when I get back home. Some of you are now beginning to say, "haven't you crawled under this thing and inspected the underside already?" NOPE! More on that later. We were now cruising down I-470 which is the great circle route around Denver to the south and west. We hit one of those spots in the road where it drops and rises in pretty short order. On the second rebound, as I was thinking about replacing the air bags, the new TV experienced weightlessness and left its perch from above. It bounced once off of the "center island console" and then landed on my right hand and arm as I'm doing 65+ down the highway. I was impressed; there wasn't a sound from my two daughters or my wife except the sound of her releasing her seatbelt in order to help lift the TV to a safer location. As she jumped from her seat I was trying to maintain my lane and keep the TV from rendering the driver (me) from becoming just another passenger as we careened out of control and into the overpass. I got the noon stage over to the shoulder and stopped. The cables that were still connected to the TV were disconnected and the TV made the rest of the trip on the bed.

After we left our Father's Day celebration, we decided to stop and see our favorite retailer that installed the TV. We arrived at the store in Colorado Springs just ten minutes before closing. The install people had already left for the evening but the sales rep and manager came out to take a look. Seeing their reaction, I kept looking behind me to see if my lawyer was standing there but, hey, I don't have a lawyer! They were amazed, as I was, to inspect the bracket and see it in no way should have been used in this manner. It was great for using on a wall in a home without wheels but this application was an accident waiting to happen. There were two "levers" that were intended to keep the TV hanging in place but, even when the levers were in place, the gap was too large to keep the TV from flying off. Note: The TV did not fly nearly as well as my A/C shroud did last week!

If you're still wondering about the air bags, I certainly was! After arriving home and feeling fairly happy we were all still alive, I decided to crawl underneath for a look at the air bags. To my amazement, there were also shocks under there. The bags looked fine but the shocks appeared to be ORIGINAL! Well, the front shocks were apparent replacements but the rears should to be in a Midas commercial.

As I said, the "StageCoach" is in for service so that we can be safe and happy on the road and arrive alive! The TV will be replaced with a new TV, cables and a well suited bracket at no cost to us.

There will certainly be times when I can't check the work done on my coach but, whenver I can, I will.

P.S. There is currently a contest here at home to give the Barth a nickname. Since it is a Barth Custom Coach and adding the fact I am a big fan of John Wayne, it has been narrowed down to three choices: Stagecoach (after a one of my favorite John Wayne movies), "Noon Stage" or Coach and Four. the last two still have a western theme although Coach and Four also represents the Barth, the four of us and it was also the name of our favorite restaurant in Fort Walton Beach, FL. We plan on having a stagecoach with a four horse team with Gabby Hayes at the reins and "The Duke" riding shotgun, painted on the rear of the coach. Now all we have to do is find someone that can do that without emptying our bank account.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:
There is currently a contest here at home to give the Barth a nickname. Since it is a Barth Custom Coach and adding the fact I am a big fan of John Wayne, it has been narrowed down to three choices: Stagecoach...
Stop right there, "Stagecoach" sounds like a great name for your coach.

Truck drivers use slang to describe other things around them - If you're on the CB you should know the following...

"Busses" are called "Stagecoaches"
"Car Carriers" are called "Parking Lots"
"Hookers" are known as "Lot Lizzards" Oops, never mind, you don't need that one. Big Grin

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
[Stop right there, "Stagecoach" sounds like a great name for your coach.

"Hookers" are known as "Lot Lizzards" Oops, never mind, you don't need that one. Big Grin

Hey, waiddaminnit - some of us be single - I don't want you to be hiding vital info!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post