Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Not the Usual Inspiration for a Song...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Not the Usual Inspiration for a Song...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Well, maybe some bird songs inspire, but this avian inspiration is a bit different...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'm at the stage of life where almost everything reminds me of a story, & birds on telephone wires is no exception.

Around 45 years ago, before the day of integrated circuits, when computers were still evolving from rooms full of vacuum tubes, I was tasked to investigate the practicality of centralizing & automating personnel records in a geographically dispersed Federal agency.

I contacted IBM's Federal Systems Division in Gaithersburg, MD for a demonstration of their centralized system which used a computer in Alabama. The spiel was impressive as the tech explained what he was doing, & input the data. We waited while the electrons did their thing, & in a few moments the dot matrix printer started zip-zipping, & we peered at sheet of gibberish emerging from the printer.

The tech's shoulders slumped, & he exclaimed, "Oh S***! Birds on the bleeping telephone wires again."

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Olroy,

If you had been a little earlier we might today refer to computer glitches as "birds-on-the-wire", alas!

How did the term “computer bug” originate?
In 1945 a lady by the name of Grace Hopper was working on a Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator (a stone age computer). The Mark II actually employed mechanical relays to simulate circuits. She was experiencing problems with a run and her subsequent investigation revealed that a moth (yes, moth as in flying bug) had become jammed in one of the mechanical relays. Hence the term “bug” emerged and we’re still using it today. This is another good reason why we should all clean our computer cases from time to time.

Hopper also pioneered the COBOL programming language and was the first female to become an admiral in the US Navy.

Hey Rusty, ever run into her?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post