Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Fiat Toad burned up.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fiat Toad burned up.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Recently an unfortunate RVer had their Fiat 500 toad burn. Luckily the class C was saved. Doug drove past the scene and said the front wheels looked to be the center point of the fire. Any opinions from you 4 downers?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago just after purchasing our Breakaway, I was towing a Saturn Vue that came with the coach 4 down and forgot to release the emergency brake on the Saturn. If a friend hadn't been following me and spotted smoke coming from under the car just after we took off and stopped me I suppose the toad could have caught fire. I am very careful now about releasing the emergency brake.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
After I found out that the early model Jeeps (<1986) can not be 4 down towed, I came across numerous articles about fires that resulted after the transfer case overheated and caused fires.

In my case, I was using the early model Jeep transfer case (Dana 300) in my Amigo V6 conversion because it is a right side drop. Where most say that one should not tow early model Jeeps more than 200 miles, I towed my Amigo 6000 miles before the rear output bearing of the transfer case seized, It was HOT for sure! I had over filled the case with oil which probably prolonged the inevitable!

I didn't do my homework before the conversion, just assumed that because there were so many Jeeps being towed, all Jeeps could be towed.

I have head of other fires that resulted because the driver either left the emergency brake on or left the car in gear. I am sure that some fires have resulted in people trying to tow 4 down and the tow vehicle could not be towed that way.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post