Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Starting search for Barth Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of JMcD
posted
Hi All. I have been silently stalking this site for a few years now. I was an engineer/draftsman at Barth from 1988-1994. I did most of the drawings and worked on the design for the Barth Breakaway. I was in my early 20s when I worked for Barth. When the first few 28' Breakaway units were built, I took one to Cedar Point for a weekend, since then I have had a soft spot in my heart for the Breakaway unit. (if you have drawings for your Barth unit, on the "Drawn By" line if it has the initials "JM" that's me)

Now I have a wife and two kids, and I am finally in a point in my life when I can start thinking about getting an RV. Realistically I should get a fifth wheel, better design and size for a family of four, but like I said, I have a soft spot for the Breakaway. So my question is if anyone knows of any Breakaway units for sale, not on this site? I did not see any currently for sale on this site.

Thank you!
JM

Posts: 15 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 02-21-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome, and thanks for your past work!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are looking for a Barth. I've enjoyed talking to the Barth employees. Roy Archer was really cool to meet. Hope you find your Breakaway.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Sorry JM I did not find you a Barth. I think I found your initials on one of my blueprints! Take look here and let us know if your initials are the ones in the picture. Were you the person that crossed out the 4 and changed it to 5? Do you know why that was changed from 4 to 5?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMcD
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know anything about a coach named "Little Betsy" from Texas? Here is the link to the site that claims it's for sale: http://www.rvt.com/Other-Barth...04150#contact-seller

I've emailed them and am trying to confirm that it really is still there and for sale.

Posts: 15 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 02-21-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMcD
posted Hide Post
Ah, thanks Kevin.
Looks like this unit needs a complete refurb. Seems a bit high at 20k.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Curious if you found a breakaway. We may sell ours this fall. Currently in KY.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Curious if you found a breakaway. We may sell ours this fall. Currently in KY.

And it is a fine one!

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMcD
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gary, for the information on your Barth. Sounds like a good unit, I am sorry that we did not get a chance to look at it before you took it back west. I did end up buying the 91 Breakaway that Tim Nash had advertised here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...533991097#4533991097

I am curious, If you don't mind sharing, what modifications you did to your engine and transmission, if you get the time.

Thanks again.
JM

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Replaced the transmission with an allison 2000 with overdrive. Not cruise 70mph at about 1900rpm.

The engine had a banks system on it when I got it. Seems to be a split intake maniford and a bigger turbo. It was still sloooow. Changed the fuel plate in the pump and installed marine injectors. Will do 400hp if I open up the pump. Cut it back to under 300 (est)to prevent breaking stuff

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post