Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Remember when...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Remember when...
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if it had aftermarket air it was?

answer: Mickey Air

Aftermarket radio: Mickey Tunes or Loony Tunes

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Three on the Tree!!!!! I haven't heard that in a while!!!!

Reminds me of my first car....a 1964 Dodge with slant six and "three on the tree..."

I can remember being 16 and trying to practice on how to be cool and shift gears while I having my arm around my first girlfriend....I tried shifting with my left hand...not cool...I tried driving around in 2nd gear only slipping the clutch at stop signs....not cool......finally tried to perfect shifting with my left hand...not cool.... Finally I figured the coolest thing was to borrow my Mom's new Olds Cutlass Diesel.....that was definately cool in a rural farming community....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the old GM trucks had four on the tree, but it doesn't rhyme, so not cool!

Remember Fuzzy Dice and Suicide Knobs? Or how about ashtrays? and the little triangle shaped windows to flick out your ashes?

And why in the old days did batteries take months to die, but today they work great until one morning....and nothing???????

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
After 3 years I have my car back on the road. I'm still not happy with the brakes, but it is drivable. It has a 3 on the tree with overdrive. The brake and clutch come thru the floorboard and the starter is under the clutch. I pull a lever up and a vent door opens up to pull fresh air in on my legs. I can change all six spark pulgs in less than ten minutes. The battery only has 3 caps and is a positive ground. The windows have to be cranked down by hand I have vent windows to open when it is hot.

I love this old klunker.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
..a 1964 Dodge with slant six and "three on the tree..."

I had one of those. A wagon. It had the big 225 slant six, and I did the cam, compression, carb and header thing. It really cooked, and with Barracuda disk brakes up front and metallic lining in the rear, it actually didn't run out of brake. Bolt on coil helpers did the job in back. One time I filled that thing full to the window sills and forward to the front seat backrest with small rock for a garden project. I wish I had weighed it, as I am sure it was some sort of record.

I would muscle my Husky 400 lying on its side in back to go to desert races and enduros every saturday.

Thanks for triggering the memories.

quote:

I can remember being 16 and trying to practice on how to be cool and shift gears while I having my arm around my first girlfriend....I tried shifting with my left hand...not cool...I tried driving around in 2nd gear only slipping the clutch at stop signs....not cool......finally tried to perfect shifting with my left hand...not cool....

I taught my girl friends to shift my Hudson. Well, I ran the clutch and throttle. Worked pretty well. It had enough (!) torque and gear (4.55) to allow second gear startups, and it would go illegally fast in second overdrive, so little shifting was really needed, anyway.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
A

I love this old klunker.

There is nothing klunker about that. compare it to its competition for style.

You have picked colors well. The white top, sidewalls and mud flaps go very well with the shade of blue you chose.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Manual chokes?

Optional heaters in cars?

Optional radios (and FM didn't become affordable until around '64)

Optional outside mirrors

1000 mile oil changes (clean the filter screen)

Pickups were an oddity (People used to come gawk at our '55 Studebaker - Silver Hawk mill and OD)

Vacuum-assisted shifting and vacuum windshield wipers (great fun on a long grade pull)

Tune up every 2,000 miles - plugs, points (you could dress them with a point file), condenser

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumpers were chrome, power steering and brakes were an option, antennas were proudly displayed, gas caps were cleverly hidden and the new car smell was the vinyl seats off-gassing!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Ah, those were the days my friend.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
War surplus military jeep, '46 Ford, '47 Nash, '49 Austin A-70,'50 MG TD, '51 Citroen 11L, '40 Ford, '41 Plymouth, '51 Hudson, all with clutches, 3 on the tree or 4 on the floor. The Austin had 4 on the tree, & the Jeep had 3 on a wobble stick plus a lever for the transfer case. The Citroen had 3 on a handle sticking out of the middle of the dash, a shift pattern the reverse of normal, with clutch, brake & throttle pedals sticking out horizontally from a flat firewall & pressing straight down.

Those indeed were the days, 1946 to 1956 in the Army & college, when I changed my cars almost as often as I changed my underwear. You folks who grew up with automatic transmissions don't know what you missed.

I never had fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror, though, & I think only the Nash had a necker's knob on the steering wheel.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The ultimate Necker's Knob had a release lever that allowed it to rotate 90 degrees so it didn't stick up except when needed. I ended up with fixed knob that was large diameter, but low profile. It was used by gripping it like a jar lid, and never got caught on anything like the standard ones. It even had a clear lens that allowed insertion of a picture. Smiler A jealous girl friend insisted I put her picture in there. I suspect it was her intention that it would remind any other girl that I was hers.

Growing up on gravel roads, I did a lot of sliding around corners. I often found myself over my head in a four-wheel drift with massive oversteer, steering as much with the throttle as the steering wheel. My old tank of a Hudson took a lot of turns to straighten out of a power slide, so the knob helped my Marshall Teague impersonation.

posted Hide Post
quote:
A jealous girl friend insisted I put her picture in there.

Reminds me of Steven King's "Christine".