Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Anyone ever do this???

http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/...-safe-driving-course

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good idea.

I'm always amazed that in Michigan if you are not a commercial driver you don't need anything but a regular driver's license to pilot a 20,000+ lb coach 40 ft long! No chauffeur's license, etc needed. Makes me a bit nervous when I see some of our little OLD men and women drivers. confusion

I'm always spooked when I drive 86Barth on snow... I don't do it unless I have to. Experience indicates the front wheels will lock up well before the rear wheels in snow. (On dry pavement I'm not sure any will lock up... never had to brake that hard yet.) Eeker

Fortunately with all the tires in the rear dragging it seems to want to track straight. I suspect a skid would be hard to correct unless the front tires are in contact with the road. I used to practice skids in the car in big empty parking lots but I haven't had the guts to try it in the Barth.
Anyone else have any exciting snow driving reports?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
see some of our little OLD men and women drivers.

watch it you young wipper snapper!!!!!

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hey don't get too cranky.. (Like Mary Ray says,"Don't mess with old people...) ROTFLMAO

Reminder: I've had an AARP card a few years and I just turned 60 in Dec, I think I'm an old fart now, at least an apprentice?

Besides I've seen you drive that Gator through the bush, you have a Jeep, too. confusion

After all the time on those Kentucky hills I want you to be my driver for the Barth hill climbs and off road races!

If the snow wasn't so deep to cover it, I'd be freezing my @## off lately... can't wait to get back to the south.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Have not had the Barth out on snow (and SALT!!)--- and hopefully never will. but I have a 79 ford cab- over 5 ton which I've taken out to "see how it handles"--- unlike a car or pickup that you can feel the back end move out, on the 5 ton (sitting over the front wheel) you could see the rear of the truck move across the center line of the road about the time you could feel it through your pants! I think a motor home would be similar. ---- so I guess if I do it, I need to wear "sensitive pants" that day. ROTFLMAO
Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post