Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TWO 1981 MCC by Barth Coaches, $15K each
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of FordGuy62
posted Hide Post
I think Mr. Hoagland's post more or less confirms what I said. Neglect is the killer, not under-design. Interestingly, I have scaled mine and it is nowhere near 23,000 lbs. 18,940 lbs total; 6,780 on front axle (-200ish for driver) and 12,160 on rear axle. 1,260 lbs is a bit light for passengers and cargo, but for two it's not terribly unreasonable.

I've read that the fiberglass MCC after production ended up weighing more than originally planned. That may explain some upgrading that occurred later in production. Mine was earlier in production and perhaps didn't get the heaviest option package. Anyway, as I said, after replacing normal wear components and upgrading to greaseable parts, it drives great. Also after a complete brake system rebuild including master cylinders, and a flush & fill with DOT 5 fluid,it stops much better than I would have expected given the negative comments I've seen. I would guess that the complaints about brakes have more to do with lack of maintenance than the actual brake design. I drove mine home 200 miles after buying it, and the brakes were marginal. I was shocked at how bad the master cylinders and calipers were when I got it apart. The brake fluid appeared very, very old and contaminated. Brake fluid should be flushed and replaced about every three years, especially on something that sits most of its life.

I think for the time the MCC/Regency was designed and built, they were comparable to most motorhomes on the road, and better than many. Sure, things have improved over the years, but given the nearly 40-year old design, they are a pretty darn nice coach.

Posts: 42 | Location: Washington State | Member Since: 09-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jason T
posted Hide Post
I have listed these separately. Please see their listing in the For Sale Forum

http://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/8943941887

http://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/6053941887

Thanks, Jason

Posts: 11 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Member Since: 03-17-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jason T
posted Hide Post
Hello All!!
Can't believe its been over a year! Anyway, just got a call regarding the 2 coaches and wanted to update this thread. We still have them and they are still for sale. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Jason

Posts: 11 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Member Since: 03-17-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
Picture of Kevin
posted Hide Post
Jason, sometimes you will see coaches sell fast and other times a Barth will not sell for a long time. The reason is commonly the price. Good buys get snatched up quickly. If you are looking to move the coaches, reduce them in price. Barth purveyors are very frugal. I am not implying they are worth less. You just need to decide if you can wait for the right buyer who is not so frugal, or sell them soon.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Northeast , Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now this has peaked my interest. What is the length of the coaches and what engine? Also, Genset, pusher/puller? A lot of missing information.

Posts: 18 | Location: Newton, NC | Member Since: 08-03-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
Picture of Kevin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark H:
Now this has peaked my interest. What is the length of the coaches and what engine? Also, Genset, pusher/puller? A lot of missing information.

They are listed here and you can get the phone number also.
http://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/6053941887
http://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/8943941887

Posts: 2560 | Location: Northeast , Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post