Forums    Barth Coaches For Sale by Members    Barths for Sale Suggestions & Buyer's Checklist
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barths for Sale Suggestions & Buyer's Checklist
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
Feel free to place ads here for Barths you may have for sale. Please make sure you have very clear contact info. That would preferably be a phone number. If you place an ad here without contact info it could be removed. Do not put notification of Ebay sales here unless you plan on removing it when the Ebay sale is over. this forum is for Barths that are presently for sale.

Attached to this message is an excellent check list that could be filled out and made available to potential buyers.

Note to buyers... As a courtesy please do not call the seller and attempt to bargain the price down unless you are seriously interested in the coach.

Coach book values are available at www.nada.com back to 1990 and thanks to a donation from our Barthmobile friend Lee Schiek I have book values back to 1975.

There is no charge to post your coach here.

Barth Buyers Checklist - (9 KB) ~

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If I may, I would like to STRONGLY suggest that all sellers post a floor plan. Pasted, hand drawn or whatever. You do not have to be a draftsman or artist to give a good idea. Just draw it on paper and keep erasing and correcting till you get it close. Then have it scanned into a JPEG image and post it with your ad. It is more work, but will definitely help a buyer decide. You will have fewer buyers waste your time by showing up and not liking the floor plan, so you have a net gain in time spent, with the effort on the floor plan saving you time showing and communicating.

For example, women will really focus on closets, storage and kitchen. There are so many different Barth floor plans and so many different needs and preferences that a good floor plan drawing will really narrow things down for both seller and prospective buyer.

In my own case, I bothered the seller until he gave me enough measurements that I could draw my own floor plan. We finally were able to determine it was what we wanted. Then we drove a long distance and bought it. He said I was by far the biggest pain-in-the-ass shopper, but I took less of his time showing it than any else. He said my bothering him was OK, though. He said he was glad he was patient with me, because I was the only one who even made an offer.Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave, I have a suggestion for the "Barth Coaches For Sale" section too. It is my opinion that the area designed to advertise these beautiful Barth coaches should be simply that. An area filled with comprehensive, detailed ads with photos, specifications, and contact information. I do not think this area should be a forum for opinions about each posting. I think discussions and opinions should be posted in the "General discussion" arena or some other area of the site. This would give our fellow Barthmobiler's a fair chance at selling their prized possession..

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I totally agree. I looked at one coach for sale on this forum, and although it didn't meet my needs, I posted the results of my looksee. The owner emailed me to say that post had stimulated interest - and it sold shortly after.

I think info (from other than the seller) on the specific coach and perhaps generic info on the model/year could be helpful for someone interested in the coach.

Many times I found it difficult to contact sellers, and being able to sort out which would be of interest and which not (from forum discussion) was very helpful. Thanks to one post on a particular Barth, I was able to rule out a coach I was about to travel 1200 miles (one way) to inspect.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I think that good natured and quality reports are good. I will not allow very criticle remarks to be made. I received an email once from someone who really felt a coach was junk. They ask if they should post that. Instead, I went to the owner and required pictures which showed that it was in poor condition. The only coaches which are wide open for rude comments are Treks and Winnebagos and such. Even the old and tired Barths must be treated with respect. They; probably more than the shinny ones have brought service and great adventure to someone.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
In addition to my strong recommendation on posting a floor plan, I would also suggest that pictures be kept under 100k, at least. A larger picture is slow for wideband users and absolutely glacial for dial up or cell phone connected folks. Larger pictures also use up valuable bandwidth, and can slow the whole site down.

I know it is easier to post just the way it comes out of your camera, but you could lose some prospective viewers with slow loading. I have seen figures on how you gotta grab a viewer right away or they click off.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Here's another document that could help you sell your coach.

How To Sell Your Barth - (494 KB) ~ How to sell your coach

posted Hide Post
Dave
The suggestion from Bill H on Feb 21 is a great one and I was wondering if you could take it one step farther and post a floor plan or series of available plans with the descriptions you gave for each model. You stated that Breakaway oweners loved their floor plans but those of us who don't own a Breakaway may not what they love!
Just a thought, that is one thing I love about the PPL site in Texas, every ad has a floorplan.

2 B 1 ask 1

Posts: 4 | Location: Linden, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 01-22-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
That would be a great idea but would be entirely up to the seller to display that floor plan. The only time you see my name on an ad is when a seller by chance does not have the computer skills to place the ad. I ask for nor have received any commissions nor is there a cost associated with selling ones coach on the website.

PPL charges for each ad so they want to make each coach as sellable as possible.

posted Hide Post
Being somebody who is interested only in models having diesel motors and diesel generators, may I implore sellers to note what fuels their coach?

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Location: az | Member Since: 10-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barth anyone?:
Being somebody who is interested only in models having diesel motors and diesel generators, may I implore sellers to note what fuels their coach?

Thanks.

There are certainly exceptions BUT if you are loking for a diesel engine and a diesel generator you can almost limit your search to a Regency.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
And the rare Monarchs and even rarer Sovereigns...

All but one very rare Breakaway with a diesel generator, all the Breakaways have LPG gensets (except mine; I replaced the Kohler with a gaso Honda RV generator).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:

My bad, I keep forgetting about the newer Barths.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
When we were travelling far and wide trying to find our Barth, we looked at 2 1995 Monarchs. One was Speedy Hoyles and I can't remember who had the other one, but they both had propane gennys.
Not that you couldn't order whatever you wanted from Barth.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

All but one very rare Breakaway with a diesel generator, all the Breakaways have LPG gensets (except mine; I replaced the Kohler with a gaso Honda RV generator).

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 1991 Barth and am beginning the process for selling it. It is 28 feet with cummins/allison 4speed trans. I am trying to identify the correct model. Can anyone help?
Thanks
BJacob44@aol.com

Posts: 8 | Location: New Mexico | Member Since: 05-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post