Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    Rusty, is this true?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rusty, is this true?
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Mars

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
NO and NO.

BTW, the second link is really good for beginning sky watchers. We always check it before going out away from city lights.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This semi-hoax goes back to '03 - Mars reached its closest opposition for many millenia on 8/27/03 - that part's true.

There are 60 arcseconds to an arcminute, and 60 arcminutes per angular degree. The full moon averages 30' (arc minutes, or 1,800 arcSECONDS). Mars in '03 was ~25" (arcSECONDS)in apparent diameter, or about 72X smaller than the apparent diameter of the Moon.

So whoever originated that statement (when it was current) didn't do all that well in 5th grade math...

These are reliable sites:
http://www.space.com/
http://stardate.org/
http://www.heavens-above.com/ (great info on satellites, including "Iridium flares", brilliant reflections of sunlight off the solar panels of the Iridium satellites)

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Well ya see, we have here a site that not only keeps us up on Barth stuff, but helps answer questions posed by somewhat gullible people like me. I can't figure why somebody would want to lie about something that seems like it would be of no profit or benefit to anyone, but apparently there are those out there who do such things for reasons we can only guess at. Thanks to all for the clarification and to Dave for editing what was supposed to be a simple forward. Lesson learned!!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Danny, they got me, too. Last week.

Being me, I immediately created a file and started researching, only to find out it was not true.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Often I receive forwards that seem too good to be true, or too bad to be true, & some that just sound slightly fishy.

An excellent source to check the veracity of such items is the Urban Legend Reference Pages at snopes.com.

I've even managed to get a couple inveterate forwarders of this garbage to check their stuff before they send it, which cuts down on the amount of spam I receive.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Et tu Mr. Gorsky?

Danny, I share your pain, Mr. Gorsky is an urban legend too.

And that clinches it, if you ask me. Unless, of course, you're one of those who believes the lunar landing itself was a hoax, in which case the point is entirely moot.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Which brings up another hoax, that says the Moon landings have been confirmed by photos from Hubble (and land-based scopes) that have images of the Lunar Rovers and the American flags the astronauts left behind. Even the 10-meter Kecks don't have enough resolution for that.

BTW, ever wonder just who [Edwin C.] Hubble was and what he did to get a billion-dollar instrument named for himself?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Uh...Rusty, you being astronomically astute, you don't surely believe that we landed on the Moon do you... Another CIA plot.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
Unless, of course, you're one of those who believes the lunar landing itself was a hoax, in which case the point is entirely moot.
That's the only thing agents Scully and Moulder didn't try to discover if "The truth is out there" Roll Eyes

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
Uh...Rusty, you being astronomically astute, you don't surely believe that we landed on the Moon do you... Another CIA plot.

I have the proof, but if I disclosed it to you, well...I'd have to shoot you.... Wink

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke