Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Chain saw advice
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
I am about to buy another chain saw after my Stihl 250 grew legs.

I am considering a Dolmar PS-421.

Any thoughts?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Stihl 291 the other day. Cuts well (carb is adjustable) Didn't look at Dolmars. Let me know what you get.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Having an adjustable carb is certainly useful however our (old?) Stihl 036 runs well without having to mess with it. Our old (nearly 30 years) Stihl 012 did not have the same ability to run without some "tuning" from time to time. So, good luck with your next choice.

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I got the saw from the local Stihl dealer. He sells and services(!) equipment of all kinds. (Yeah, even Kubotas) Last time I checked around here the box stores didn't carry Stihl equipment. Paid about 450. 55 cc 18 inch bar about 3.8 hp 12.3 lbs. Probably find it cheaper somewhere else but he stocks parts, chains, etc.

Requires no special tool (screwdriver ROTFLMAO) to adjust carb thru holes in side: high mixture, low mixture, idle speed.

So far I'm happy. Thumbs Up

Revs up high, cuts real well.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
I got the saw from the local Stihl dealer. He sells and services(!) equipment of all kinds. (Yeah, even Kubotas) Last time I checked around here the box stores didn't carry Stihl equipment.

I have never seen Stihl anywhere but an independent dealer.

quote:
Paid about 450. 55 cc 18 inch bar about 3.8 hp 12.3 lbs. Probably find it cheaper somewhere else but he stocks parts, chains, etc.

Stihls are rarely sold at less than MSRP. Last time, I shopped around and could only get a few goodies thrown in to sweeten the deal.

quote:
Revs up high, cuts real well.

Sounds good, but I can no longer handle a saw that heavy or powerful. I was happy with the Stihl MS 250, but kinda took a liking to a neighbor's Dolmar. He had a Stihl chain on it. Says they are the best.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Just curious, but have new chain saws gone to 4 stroke motors? I know the twin stokes offer more power per pound.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Just curious, but have new chain saws gone to 4 stroke motors? I know the twin stokes offer more power per pound.

I have seen some home made ones, but no production ones.

4 stroke chain saw

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If I had only one saw I would probably get a slightly smaller lighter one.

I have the Stihl saw for felling and bucking and an old smaller Poulan with 14 inch bar for limbing and trimming.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a Homelite 16", but a Black & Decker 8" 18V electric gets the most use.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
If I had only one saw I would probably get a slightly smaller lighter one.

I have the Stihl saw for felling and bucking and an old smaller Poulan with 14 inch bar for limbing and trimming.

Yup. That is why I limited myself to a 10 lb saw. But, it has still has to cut heavily creosoted railroad ties.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have a Homelite 16", but a Black & Decker 8" 18V electric gets the most use.

We have a yard sale cheapie electric that is grabbed for small jobs within cord range. It gets a lot of use from both of us. Susan even throws it and the little generator in her garden cart for distant jobs. She will not go near a gas chain saw.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Amen on the electrics. When Liz and I married and I moved into town I thought the electric saw she has was as big a joke as the electric weed eater. After sweating and swearing and not starting either two cycle I tried the electrics. Yeah, the problem was old gas and an old geezer but it sure convinced me of how handy they can be in the urban environment. I even have used a pruning blade in my Sawsall for any jobs that don't justify putting blade oil in the electric chainsaw. Heck of a difference, push an button and it works, how do they do that?

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I also have a Troy-Bilt power head with a blower, weedwhacker, pole saw, tiller, and sickle bar. And it has an electric start attachment, greatly appreciated after my shoulder surgery.

The B&D electric chain saw has a companion hedge trimmer.

A Ryobi 40V weedwhacker rounds out the electrics.

Next on the acquisition list is a B&D electric SP mower...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Hey Gary, I have a stihl 4 stroke pole saw. it works great. not as quick rpm as a 2 stroke, but it gets the job done. google a stihl 4mix motor.
kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Troy-Bilt power head is also 4-stroke.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke