Barthmobile Portal
Chain saw advice

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5931087061/m/8613915387

10-03-2014, 08:42 PM
kenny j
Chain saw advice
do you have to mix gas and oil on the troybuilt? i have to on the stihl. there is no oil in the crankcase.
10-04-2014, 01:25 AM
Rusty
The Homelite chain saw is 2-stroke, but the Troy-bilt power head is 4-stroke (no oil mixing); it replaced a 2-stroker that required constant carb maintenance.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
10-04-2014, 03:01 AM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
it replaced a 2-stroker that required constant carb maintenance.

My two stroke stuff got easier to deal with after I quit using pump gas and went to ethanol-free gas with Stihl synthetic oil and Seafoam or PRI. Stihl doubles your warranty if you buy a six pack of those little bottles or a gallon jug with your saw.

I remember when outboard motors required "white" gas.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
10-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Micha
I have a Stihl 024, which is over 20 year old and still very strong that I use for the smaller job and a Husqvarna 254XP, heavier and stronger,( goes to 14,000rpm in a fraction of second) that I bought over 10 years ago, for the bigger jobs; both are still relialable and can do a complete day of work which I dont do anymore. There are good deal in used chainsaws, specially the good brand if not overused; it all depends what is your intended usage