Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    Calling all Star Gazers - List your Star Parties
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Calling all Star Gazers - List your Star Parties
 Login now/Join our community

posted

Posts: 19 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Member Since: 04-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There're these lists:

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/community/events/events.asp?cat=7
and
http://chartmarker.tripod.com/starparty.htm

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Surely other folks have money-pit hobbies other than maintaining their Barths and spanking Dave...

Mine are G-gage model railroading and eletric airplanes and helicopters...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Sat. MAY 6 2006 National Astronomy Day JKB Smiler

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLOOP JOHN B:
Sat. MAY 6 2006 National Astronomy Day JKB Smiler

To garner full benefit from Astronomy Day, one should corral his/her local stargazer and take him/her to lunch and ply same with adult beverages...

Seriously, the problem with Astronomy Day is that most of the activities are in the daytime, so folks don't get a chance to observe through decent scopes.

Saturn is up nicely right now, and the "WOW!" factor on a good night is "10". Jupiter rises enough to be a good view around 11 PM local.

There are deep space objects (DSOs), a/k/a "faint fuzzies", observable now as well, including the Great [globular star] Cluster in Hercules and if you're south of 33 deg lat, Omega Centauri, even larger and more impressive than the Hercules cluster. Most DSOs are dim smudges, but there are a few that are breathtaking, even to an inexperienced observer.

Charles Messier, an 18th century comet-hunter, became frustrated by becoming excited about fuzzy objects that weren't comets, so he catalogued them with their locations. This became the Messier List, and its 110 objects have "M" designations. The Hercules Cluster is M13.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here's StaRV II in it's now-natural habitat - Georgia Sky View '06, at Camp MacIntosh, just north of Macon, GA:

[note: image detached from servers 9/7/09]

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
So, what - all Barthmobile Forum members have as their hobby only caressing the Barth, and showering it with expensive gifts?

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Dave, can you change the name of this forum to "Rusty'z Rantz & Rumblingz"? Big Grin
quote:
Star Gazing and other non automotive hobbies

Calling all Star Gazers - List your Star Parties
Didn't want to get off topic, but, because you asked.

I think, when most of us come to this site, we like to talk, type, offer advice, research, check up on upcoming neat Rv items or to unwind with our Barth. It's like opening a window into an adventure most of us would like to do, but sadly, few will ever take.

With you Rusty, I like thinking about your "Star Parties" and how I'd like to check one out. I think about your boat and airplane and think about doing those things.

There are others on this site that take off for several days/weeks and leave postings about different places and things to do. I like reading about that and fancifully wish that I was the proverbial "Fly on the wall" in their coach.

I dream about chucking it all and "retire" to a 50 hr work week with some cushy job that doesn't require me to be laid up for 3-4 months the next time some moron runs off the road and takes me and my equipment out.

I'd like to do some safer things, like jump out of a perfectly good aircraft. Anyone want to do that, or are currently doing that?

I hate reading how someone has to sell their coach because their mate is too sick to enjoy it. How sad to work all your life and when it comes time to retire and enjoy life... disease, old age or your own stupidity (smoking/drinking/drugs/overeating) creep in. This retirement thing is so upside down.

I keep getting this mental image of a person in a casket. No one says "I wish I worked more" they always say "I wish I did more or spent more time with the kids, wife, hobby etc..."

I think of how some of my friends are in debt up to their eyeballs but they always manage to get in a long vacation. Is this being irresponsible or enjoying yourself? A fine line. It's like betting that you wont live to retirement. If that's the case then you had a good time and played with all your toys before getting your recall notice.

If you retire and don't have disposable income then you're the neighbor that peers out the window and watch life pass you by. How sad to wait for a check & for your kids to stop by just so you can get out of the house. Waiting around for something to happen and wishing that you saved a little bit more so you could enjoy what little is left of your time here.

My hobbies include... reading, playing with the kids, coming to this site, bowling (it's been awhile), taking the Barth to a race, collecting some die-cast, playing with the newest AV equipment, working on my toys (Barth/Nova) and I like dreamscaping about places to go and things to do.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
of a person in a casket. No one says "I wish I worked more" they always say "I wish I did more or spent more time with the kids, wife, hobby etc..."

BINGO!....a recipe for life, wrapped up into one sentence! Kudos to Bill N.Y. !!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
BTW, it was a defensive measure from Dave to prevent Susan and I from cluttering up another forum, but it is for all hobbies and other interests.

Ditto on the kudos...and good on you for keeping the sort- and long-term things in perspective.

that's why, according to The Plan, I semi-retired at 61 and fully retired (the last consulting gig ending) April 18th this year. Doing what was necessary to retire while still in early middle age (61) sucked at the time, but now I'm here, it's been worth it.

Need to finish a lot of details on the house additions, get it ready to sell, and find a place with dark skies and room for a 32' Regency.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, it appears no one has any hobbies or other interests. So for Susan's benefit, I just got a Takahashi NJP today.

I'll make a few mods before heading to the Nebraska Star Party around 7/18 or 19.

For those who'd like some stunning views through astronomical telescopes, the NSP is less than 30 miles SW of Valentine, NE. All Barthmobile Forum members are invited as Special Guests, 7/23-29/06. Have you ever been where it's so dark the Milky Way casts a shadow? Actually, have you, your kids, or grandchildren ever SEEN the Milky Way? (Well-bought politicians have made sure that light pollution prevails over preservation of heritage).

If 350 miles from Lincoln, NE is too far, StaRV II, Maggie, Casey, my astrogear, and I will be at the Peach State Star Gaze '06 (oddly enough, just east of Ducktown, TN, not in GA).

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
I think the link should state any hobbies and interests for the general public so that everyone can get their loves into the forum!! No offense Rusty,but there is alot of hobbies out there! Me, for one is still searching for the ultimate Barth,so I can have another passion to take up all my time and make the love of my life more crazy!!

You got to love this site!!!!!!!

Cheers,Neil

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, the Topic is,
quote:
Star Gazing and other non automotive hobbies

Maybe Dave can retitle it to just "Non-automotive Hobbies".

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Dave,

I think you should rename this forum to "Barth Lovers's Other Hobbies"

That way we might get other hobbies listed as well. Rusty and I will still be able to discuss stargazing and telescopes, etc.

Rusty, the Takahashi NJP is a mount for one of your telescopes? Please give further details. Thanks.

Susan

Posts: 19 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Member Since: 04-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Tak NJP is a mount - a friend had it for sale locally, and I know the other prior owner - I just couldn't pass it up. It's way overkill for anything I have now, but it'll be perfect for when I get an observatory.

[note: image detached from servers 9/7/09]

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke