Barthmobile Portal
Gliese 581 Strikes Again

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5931087061/m/829103443

09-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Rusty
Gliese 581 Strikes Again
Only 20 LY from Earth, Gliese 581 has yielded several "exoplanets" (Those beyond the Solar System); Now our reliable little (red dwarf) neighbor coughs up an Earth-like planet (a first): Gliese 581g

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
09-30-2010, 06:29 AM
Moonbeam-Express
quote:
"Everything we know about life is that it absolutely requires liquid water," says astronomer Paul Butler, with the Carnegie Institution.
Seems like an ego-centric statement since everything we know about life more or less comes from just our little planet which happens to have most life based around water.
quote:
"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say that the chances for life on this planet are 100 percent. I have almost no doubt about it," Steven Vogt, professor of astronomy and astrophysics at University of California Santa Cruz.
Are these guys really scientists. Talk about unfounded theories! "Almost" equals 100% does it ??? Did the guy take statistics?

I would like to think they're right, but this sounds much more like grant money talk than science.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
10-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Dick Dubbs
"grant money talk than science"
I think you nearly, almost, absolutely hit the nail on the head!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

10-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Tom Loughney
Slightly off subject, but similar in nature was all the dire predictions concerning the Gulf oil spill and how many scientists were predicting that it would never recover "ie I need money to study...." and then when it simply vanished within two weeks, they all knew the pot had dried up and not a peep out of 99% of the experts.....

Tom Loughney
Barthless....