Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    solenoid winding machine
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

solenoid winding machine
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted
Hello everyone. I thought this was a very interesting machine and wanted to post a few pics of it. My day job is an electronics technician/ IT technician/ Company go to guy for all things technology. ( I also run a large format printer for the company ) I love small company's because the amount of hats you wear never seem to be the same lol.
While electronics is my bread and butter it's also a hobby and I think its very cool that this machine is old school but used to fix modern electronics.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Technology is quickly changing the way that business persons work each day. It is significant for buyers to play a vital part in understanding arising technology trends.

Posts: 1 | Location: Pakistan | Member Since: 11-09-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I remember those coil winders from my days at the old Dole Valve Company, later called Eaton Controls headquartered in Carol Stream IL. That was in the 70's.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use this one about every day. We rewind our own coils for amusement machines ( Plush Cranes and Quarter Pushers ). It came with zero instructions lol. Took me a week to figure out how to use it properly.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I did put a new solenoid on my generator. How much to rewind the old solenoid?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
That is a blast from the past. My grandpa was an electrician.

He spent most of WWII rebuilding/rewinding commercial electric motors, since no new ones were available except for defense contracts. Tricky business since they have overlapping windings and you did it by hand, counting the number of windings to keep it balanced. When the motor needed bearings he would smooth the shaft and cast a babbitt bearing right in place.

The only way he could get wire was to trade in scrap copper. He had to burn off the insulation and turn in the mostly pure copper. It would be weighed and he could get same weight of new wire. (Not as much copper due to weight of the insulation.)
Those were the days.

Makes me think of old pinball machines. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
I did put a new solenoid on my generator. How much to rewind the old solenoid?

I would say free for a fellow Barth Owner

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
That is a blast from the past. My grandpa was an electrician.

He spent most of WWII rebuilding/rewinding commercial electric motors, since no new ones were available except for defense contracts. Tricky business since they have overlapping windings and you did it by hand, counting the number of windings to keep it balanced. When the motor needed bearings he would smooth the shaft and cast a babbitt bearing right in place.

The only way he could get wire was to trade in scrap copper. He had to burn off the insulation and turn in the mostly pure copper. It would be weighed and he could get same weight of new wire. (Not as much copper due to weight of the insulation.)
Those were the days.

Makes me think of old pinball machines. Thumbs Up

I have lost count of how many pinballs I have fixed. The company I work for used to run them on the amusement route. We still have about 20 left for select locations.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The machines I saw looked like rat's nests (sometimes literally!) of wires, solenoids, lights and actuator rods and levers. Amazing Rube Goldberg stuff! Always liked those Gottlieb girls on the score panels. confusion

Hats off to those who can fix them. Takes patience. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And in my case a fair amount of luck.