Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Acer notebook
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
We bought an Acer Aspire Series 5000 notebook 3 years ago to take with us on our travels. One key on the keyboard quit working .. guess what .. you can't buy parts for Acer products anymore!
You have to ship the notebook to Texas for repair. That's $199.95 for a $40.00 keyboard! Plus the shipping costs!
Not bloody likely! The place we bought it from is going to track down a used or generic keyboard, or try and fix the "a" key.
Up here we call it the "Canada" key ..."Eh!"
We WILL NOT be buying an Acer product again.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Right after buying our new 20" HP monitor, we found an ad for an Acer for 40 bucks less. Glad we didn't see it before!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've never had an Acer product live a full and productive life.

For laptops, I stick to Dell (not the best, but excellent customer/repair service). Asus is my preferred, but I don't know about customer service, as only one item of hundreds I bought from them was DOA (returned to vendor), and no other has failed. I just upgraded a PC I built around '94, and the Asus CDROM (That's right, not a burner) was still going strong.

More than likely, a keyboard can be found, as Acer is mostly a parts aggregator, but there can be 3 or 4 hours labor in some laptops.

Now might be a good time to replace it....the downside is that most new ones are preloaded with Vista.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm.... crappy, well my Acer Aspire 5050 3465 has run flawlessly for 6 years now. Oops I might have jinxed it now. o_O

Granted it's a bit on the elderly side as far as laptops go but I pet it frequently enough my cat Petra is jealous. Big Grin

A Barth can tow my Esterel. (guest house)

Posts: 8 | Location: Ohio, USA | Member Since: 02-18-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
You can usually find stuff like this on ebay.

linky

Its true that Acer quality has gone in the dumper. I prefer HP and yes...ASUS...hard to beat ASUS quality. The best products need no support.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I bought 2 Hp DV4t and when the mother board failed I upgraded to the DV6t, very shortly that one failed as well. I returned both HPs and got 2 Acers, lower cost, more features etc.

I have had 3 Acer laptops since 2003 and not one bit of trouble. I have many hours on these as they are the prime and backup computers that I use for road race timing and scoring, they see a lot of abuse!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I've had my Aspire for about a year and it has worked flawlessly. The battery lasts much longer than my old Dell also.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Well, us MAC Powerbook owners don't have those problems, but if you want it repaired there is a shop in Houston that repairs all brands, and they sell parts as well. Look at http://micro-cache.com/ and you may get what you need. We have used them to build office cad systems and industrial notebooks for over ten years. We have had good service.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post