Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    Nearby Supernova!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Nearby Supernova!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Most are distant around 1 billion (or more) light years, but this one's only 21 MILLION light years away in M101, the Pinwheel Galaxy.

M101 will appear only as a faint smudge in 80mm optics, but its supernova will mark it. It will take (at 80mm) averted vision to truly discern M101.

See here. NOTE: The first image is misleading, being M64 (The Black-eye Galaxy); ignore it.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Thanks for the reference. I will look tonight. Not often you'll see anything that happened so recently, only 21 million years ago!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Ok, so how long will we be able to observe this? I just got the wife's 6" telescope out and assembled it but am still searching for the eye pieces which she tells me are in a black net bag "somewhere". I downloaded the instruction manual and I think I can figure it out, but the search may take a few days.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Tooling Along

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post