Barthmobile Portal
An Interesting Week in Space

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5931087061/m/5543918477

09-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Rusty
An Interesting Week in Space
Two striking events, one very close and another very far away hit the news this week.

Close to home (a mere 860,000,000 miles away) is the newly-discovered Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON), which, if it lives up to expectations when it gets closer late next year, could be one of the brightest in centuries.

Along with Comet C/2011 L4 discovered last year, and also promising to be very bright, fall and winter 2013 could be great for comet-watchers.

Seen as of billions of years ago, and much farther away (~13,000,000,000 light years), are the objects in the latest Hubble Deep Field image, the
eXtreme Deep Field (XDF). Overlaying the earlier Ultra Deep Field image with the deep infrared of the new cameras on Hubble, the telescope has gone back in time to a mere 300 million years after the Big Bang.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Rusty
Comet C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS

This comet, discovered in 2011, will likely show its "stuff" early next month, but will stay south until mid-March. It's already close to being a naked-eye object now.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields