Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    The Final Frontier....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Final Frontier....
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Anyone seen the Star Trek movie yet? Cool

It's a stretch... but I thought I would post this here anyway. Big Grin

As a die hard "Trekkie" I've seen it 2 times already. I'm happy to report, this was a great movie to see on "The Big Screen"

I plan on seeing it "One More Time" at an I-Max Movie Theater next week.

Without giving away any spoilers, if "nature calls" while watching it... When you see "James Tiberius Kirk" wake up and then crawl out of his escape pod on an ice planet, you've got less than 3 minutes to get back to your seat.

That's about the only time in the movie you have to leave. It is that action packed!!! Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
I watched it twice...and loved it. Tina liked it as well and that says something because she does not get into that kind of film all that much. I am still trying to figure out a couple of facets of the movie so I will probably watch it one more time and I will say, lots of action in this one. I have always enjoyed the original series of Star Trek and this movie was right up my alley.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kris & Tina Jones:
I have always enjoyed the original series of Star Trek and this movie was right up my alley.
My mechanic, Pete, felt that this movie "Was an abomination!"

I felt bad because I recommended that he go and see it.

He is a Trekkie to the extreme. He has even read all of the books and spin-off books. Sad that some can't be entertained and just enjoy the movie.

But then I realized that I couldn't have kept him out of the movie theater anyway and he would have come to this same conclusion without my help.

I've already put in my request to get the Directors Cut DVD for Christmas. I really enjoyed it!!!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Agreed Bill. Is this not always the case when one reads the books before seeing the movie? Even if you see the movie first, it will always influence your percepion of the latter form of entertainment. Your right about one thing, he would have seen it anyway so what do ya do. Roll Eyes

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
BTW, fans of the series are "Trekkers", not "Trekkies"...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
BTW, fans of the series are "Trekkers", not "Trekkies"...

Dor-sho-gha! >> Klingon curse used to express great frustration << highlight text between arrows

I'll let Gene Roddenbury settle this one for me.

Gene Roddenbury spoke during a convention and used the term trekkie. Someone attempted to correct him, to which he responded, "Excuse me, did you say 'TrekkER?' The word is 'TrekkIE.' I should know, I created them."

Trekker vs Trekkie

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I was corrected by a couple of Trekk**s who insisted the word included "er"...anyway, I ain't one, so it doesn't matter to me. dazed confused

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
The debate continues! I've heard the term "Trekkie" used to describe someone that was a fan of the original series while Trekkers were fans of the spinoff series that followed. I've also heard it was really the other way around. Gene Roddenberry claimed Trekkie was for the original series while Leanard Nimoy said Trekkers was correct. I've even heard Trekkers were actually fans of Star Wars (?). I've also heard that one merely watches the show while the other seems to live it. All I know is I'm a fan of the original series and of the Star Trek movies that have followed. I don't have any of the uniforms, speak Klingon or set up a tent in front of the theater waiting for the first showing. What this all boils down to is I like Star trek and Barth Custom Coaches!

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Ok - calling all Trekkies, or Trekkers.....here's one for you. I had an account at a credit union called "Space Coast Credit Union" and....I had checks with Mr. Spock, Captain Kirk, Lt. Sulu, Scotty, and all of the "original" Star Trek actors. Everyone thought that they were fake checks, the "stardate" is on the date line, and "official federation signature" was on the sign line, "captains log" was the memo line, they were very cool.

For those of you who are interested, I just dug out my old check book, check out www.anthonygrandio.com and see if they are stilldoing them. As I recall, they had both the old series, and the new ones available.

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post

An interesting read:

How Star Trek Conquered the Universe

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was corrected by a couple of Trekk**s who insisted the word included "er"...anyway, I ain't one, so it doesn't matter to me. hmm

Any Navy Man that isn't a Trekk**, well now this is just not natural. The orignal Star Trek was 100% US NAVY based. Along with a little Horatio Hornblower/Errol Flynn thrown in there.

I'm sadly disappointed in you Rusty... You must've been a spook or other specialty that had you disassociated from the 'Real Navy', (Big Ships, Big Guns, Amphibious Assaults, Naval Air etc).

All real Navy Men by rights must be Trekk**s!
Anchors Aweigh...

Your pulling our collective legs right?

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, when Star Trek came on, I was enjoying the luxuries of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club (have the blazer) or spending 300 days per year away from home port on a special operations ship, so I never had a chance to see the original series.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, when Star Trek came on, I was enjoying the luxuries of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club (have the blazer) or spending 300 days per year away from home port on a special operations ship, so I never had a chance to see the original series.

Thanks for serving. I am obviously younger than you but when I was active duty (Ship Driver: LST's and DDGs) the Junior Officers occasionally got to watch the reruns on VHS in the Wardroom and relate the bridge of the USS Enterprise to that of the USS Bristol County (LST 1198) and later DDG 971 David R. Ray. We had fun relating to our XO to First Science Officer Mister Spock and our CO (a black man) to Captain Kirk. Very Navy.

Steady as she goes...

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I, too, was a ship driver - mostly FRAM I DDs - and one unFRAMMed Sumner class - and an ARC (Cable Repair Ship) Special operations - we laid the cable for the SOSUS system. Last command was an LSD: Large Steel Desk Big Grin.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Being in Amphibs primarily, I enjoy the Sci-Fi flicks that put the grunts on the beach: some of the Star Wars and others remind me of long hours in a Papa Boat as a Safety Boat Officer deploying Charlie Company someplace in the SOCAL Islands, The Phillipines, S. Korea, or was it North Korea?
DMZ?
Nothing like the U.S. Marines storming a beach, backed by a Cruiser/Destroyer battle group, and your with 'em...

The whole sci-fi rendition of an An Amphibious Assault brings back the smell the diesel exhaust of those AMTRACKS headed for the beach as we rode alongside them in case any of them flipped over in the surf.

Ahead Warp Factor 5 Mr. Checkov... (I think that is the equivalent of "All Ahead Standard"...