Barthmobile Portal
Stranger in a Strange Land...

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5931087061/m/4831045113

05-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Rusty
Stranger in a Strange Land...
If that title doesn't stir up your sci-fi genes, don't worry about it! The caption comes from Robert A. Heinlein's 1961 Hugo Award-winning story.

Anyway, this coming Sunday, 7 PM, 5/25, the Science Channel will broadcast live the approach and hopefully, landing, of the Mars Phoenix lander, here.

Be there or be square...or whatever....

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
05-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Rusty
The Phoenix Lander has safely arrived on Mars. Nearby property values have plummeted.

BTW, the name "Phoenix" is from the mythological bird which arose from its own ashes; many of the parts for the Phoenix Lander were salvaged from cancelled programs...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
05-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Danny Z
Story and some pix.
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/spacecraft-looks-at-mars-n...203051376x1200309061

79 Barth Classic
05-27-2008, 12:04 PM
RichieC
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Nearby property values have plummeted.

Optimism, Son. It can only get better. Smiler
05-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Rusty
Here's the link to the NASA Phoenix page.

Or direct to the images

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke