Barthmobile Portal
Rosetta, Philae, and 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5931087061/m/4753928387

11-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Rusty
Rosetta, Philae, and 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko
What in the world are these? Well, first, they aren't in this world. Rosetta is an ESA spacecraft which has been on a 10-year journey to comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Philae is a 220 lb. probe riding Rosetta, and which will be ejected to land on the comet, the first such soft landing.

Follow the progress here

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
11-12-2014, 06:49 PM
dr. bart
Philae apparently bounced on landing... Anchors didn't deploy.... Waiting for next transmission window for pictures... Hope all is well... Thanks rusty for the word-up on this event...
11-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Mogan David
quote:
Originally posted by dr. bart:
Philae apparently bounced on landing... Anchors didn't deploy...

NBC news reported it bounced A HALF MILE up confusion
11-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Quinn
Watching this unfold with awe. Thanks for posting Rusty. I vaguely remember when it launched, and that I thought "I'll never remember to find out what happens in 10 years." I wouldn't have, except for this post.
11-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Rusty
quote:
NBC news reported it bounced A HALF MILE up

Actually, it has made the first THREE landings on a comet. Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields