Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    Upcoming Meteor Showers Oct, Nov, Dec
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Upcoming Meteor Showers Oct, Nov, Dec
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Plusses: Meteor showers are events anyone can enjoy; no equipment is necessary.

Minusses: Showers peak around 3 AM, but anytime after 9 PM will yield fine views.

Shower activity starts 3-4 days before peak, and and tapers off for 3-4 days. Best viewed from a dark sky, and appear to be coming from the east or northeast in every case.

Showers are named for the constellation from which they appear to radiate. In most cases, they are caused by debris left in the orbits of comets, and the earth's orbit cause it to move through the debris path.

Orionids (Orion) Starting now, peaks October 21, Moon rises ~1 AM. Halley's Comet.

Leonids (Leo) Peaks November 17, Moon rises ~6PM. Comet P/Tempel-Tuttle

Geminids (Gemini) December 13, Full Moon rises ~9PM (Asteroid) 3200 Phaeton

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Reminder.......Leonids tonight.

Moon is dark.

http://www.environmentalgraffi...meteor-showers/17469

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Geminids peak night of Dec. 13-14

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Bump..... tonites the nite. Shields Up

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
And it is raining in TN. Nothing but clouds and fog. Yikes. Anyone trade for some snow? Cool

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post