Tools
Reply To This Topic

Lunar Eclipse 3/3/07
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
For the east coast, the moon will rise in the early evening fully eclipsed. It'll still be quite visible, ranging from a murky brown to a coppery red, depending on the atmosphere.

Unlike solar eclipses, it's perfectly safe to view a Lunar eclipse without any eye protection.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty,

Yes I am a member of the Aldrich Astronomical Society based on Paxton MA. In July we will go to "Conjunction" in MA and August "Stellafane" in VT. Right now we are parked next to Graceland in Memphis TN, still looking for clear skies! We are on the way to Tucson AZ but do not have any definite plans. Hope to hook up with some Obsrvatories and Clubs. We have the Celestron SLT 120 with us.

Good to hear from you.

Jim

Posts: 41 | Location: Ashby, Massachusetts | Member Since: 06-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hey, Jim,

Susan on this forum is also an astronomer, and goes to Stellafane.

I routinely hit the Mid South Star Gaze in French Camp, MS (April); Georgia Sky View just north of Macon (also Apr); Buckeye On the Sky, Lodi, OH (June); Nebraska Star Party, Valentine, NE (July); Peach State Star Gaze, Deer Lick AV, GA (Oct). The Chiefland Star Party is no more, but I'm a member there, so will go in '07 at the usual time for Chiefland (Nov).

I'd recommend http://www.cloudynights.com/ as a great forum, especially for hooking up with astronomers and clubs along your route. At least you'll be passing not too far from the MacDonald Observatory, and Kitt Peak is only about 60 miles west of Tuscon.

Clear skies!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty,

I took the old Barth to Stellfane last summer and as a result there is a pink Stellafane sticker on the back. There were very few motor homes there because you have to go a day eariler than the opening. I do not know Susan but would be glad to look her up at this years meeting.Before this week is over I hope to add one from the McDonald Observatory at Mount Locke. The old 454 Chevy engine is not fuel injected so we will hope for the best! We are trying to get to as many observatories as we can.

Thanks for your interest,

Jim

Posts: 41 | Location: Ashby, Massachusetts | Member Since: 06-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I hope to squeeze in a house-hunting trip to a place with decent skies (west TX, eastern NM) sometime this summer (maybe after the Nebraska Star Party).

Have a pleasant journey!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty,

The Las Cruces Astronomical Society took us to their Saturday night viewing about 35 miles north of the city. Dark Skies were wonderful. Most of the guys were doing CCD work.We have been here for 2 weeks and will find it hard to leave.

Jim

Jim

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Tonight's the big night, unfortunately our skies aren't looking favorable in SW Florida. Hope some of you have a good view of this "Bad Moon Risin'".

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have to make my go-no go decision in about an hour - and it looks dicey for the club's session in Mayport.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Don't know where Mayport is but I know you have a Barth, so JUST GO!!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I use my van for local stargazing (although the Breakaway will go to the Jacksonville Star Gaze next weekend - also at Hanna Park in Mayport).

Mayport's on the coast, east of Jacksonville.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
THE TIME IS 4:55 CT IN IBERIA MO. IT HAS BEEN SNOWING OFF AND ON ALL MORNING AND AFTERNOON. I HOPE THAT WE WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THE ECLIPSE TONIGHT. AWAITING THE DUSK TO SEE WHAT ONE CAN SEE.

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME TO TALK ON LINE...SO HERE GOES!

Posts: 1 | Member Since: 03-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forum! Here in north Florida, "clouds got in the way"...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke