Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2011
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2011
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted
I know we have some aeronautical buffs on the site. Any of you attending AirVenture this year? Barthmobilers are welcome to stay at our place for the week. We are 4 miles from the airfield and have plenty of space and power available.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
OMG!.....Talk about manna from heaven!...(I'm sure you know you're sitting on a 5-day gold mine.)

I go every other year Smiler....2011 is the off-year Frowner

If this offer extends to 2012, I'd like to reserve a site NOW!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
You're more than welcome to stay with us in 2012 Lee!
We usually stay in ours for the week and rent out the rooms in the house. We are just south of the airfield, nice quiet country setting, right on the approach to RWY 36.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer Tom...I'll take it!

Compared to the hassle of flying in and taking the bus to the dorms,
staying in the mothership so close to OSH is gonna feel like five-star digs!

My two partners are gonna think I've got personal connections to
the mayor and Paul & Tom P. !

Can ya send me a PM w/ address?.....I'm gonna start planning the trip NOW! Tooling Along

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
No hassles staying here that's for sure. We can even give out some inside info on beating the usual traffic associated with the area.

Did I mention there is always a full breakfast every morning and something grilling every night?

PM sent.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Does Paul still have the P1 Mustang? I havent been to Whitman field for the EAA fly-in in a LONG time but there were certainly some beautiful homemades there back then.... And the town was a BLAST !!! We used to camp next to the plane in the infield but staying in the Barth that close would sure be impressive....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
We used to camp next to the plane

Yea, so did we, but if it had rained the week before, it became difficult to distinguish between the
ultra-lights and the mosquitos.....For sure, a 34 year old Barth trumps a puptent every time! Thumbs Up

quote:
Did I mention there is always a full breakfast every morning and something grilling every night?

So, Tom,...What-da-ya-say we keep this gig kinda secret, OK? Wink

Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, Tom,...What-da-ya-say we keep this gig kinda secret, OK? Wink

We wont tell another soul.... cheers

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to an Oshkosh fly-in since around '72-'73 - went a couple of times in my '47 Ercoupe, and later in the '55 F-35 Bonanza.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
'55 F-35 Bonanza

Rusty, I dont remember what year it was but one time i was there we were parked next to a Bonanza..... The gentleman that owned it worked/sold for Amsoil.....

Hey, good luck tomorrow morning !!!! And dont worry bout the boyz, they'll be there when you go to pick them up....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Tom: We MAY have our Barth by the fly-in. If so I'll let you know and perhaps we can make it.

I used to fly a Cherokee Six and later an Aztec, each with 5 paying passengers to the event 3 times during that week (IFR). Often we'd be the "first arrival" 'cause I'd ask for a Hold at 3,000 ft. right over the airport waiting for the fog to lift and simply asked the Tower to let me know when the field came up to minimums.

That was back when the SST was doing touch-and-goes and Pappy Boyington was selling his book in a nice cool building while the Japanese pilot who shot him down was out in the field under a small canopy selling his book as to how he did it.

'Tis a different world.

Lou

PS: I'll trade ya spots when you and your bride do your 'around Lake Michigan' trip.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Lou, lets hope you have your Barth by then! It would be great to have you stay.

If you haven't been in a while you would be surprised at all of the changes, some have even made things better Big Grin

Not sure yet when we will be doing our 'round the lake trip but we will certainly take you up on the offer!

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
OMG..AirVenture! The last time I was there it was still Oshkosh. We flew in a Comanche 180 and camped on the field...94 maybe? I would love to fly in again in my 68 Cessna 172 but it is a bit primitive camping on the field.
Staying nearby in Barth would be sweet! I wish I'd known sooner cause I'm tied up that week this year, but 2012 might have to be a Barth/Airventure GTG. I won't tell anybody who doesn't have a Barth!

If you get to this side of Lake Michigan stop by and see us. Near Traverse city and great scenery in the plane.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, staying in the Barth would be a lot nicer than camping under the wing. Especially when it rains like it's known to do here Wink A Barth/Airventure GTG sounds good to me!

We do plan on making a trip around the lake in the Barth. We did it a couple years ago on the bike and had a lot of fun. We'll look you up when we do.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
The last time I was by EAA was on trip home from Appleton to pick up the Barth that is a twin to yours Smiler

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post