Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    Leonid Meteor Shower 11/18-19
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Leonid Meteor Shower 11/18-19
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
The night of the 18th and 19th, Earth passes through the orbit of Comet Tempel-Tuttle and encounters the dust and debris in the comet's orbit.

This year's pass is expected to produce up to 150 meteors per hour, one of the flashiest of 2006's showers, especially since the timing is near the full Moon and the sky will be dark.

The shower is named for the area in the sky from which it appears to originate, Leo (The Lion), which will be rising in the east around midnight. Showers typically hit the maximum around 2 to 3 AM.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the moon is being very cooperative this year. Now if the weather would do so as well, maybe I will be able to see the meteors too.

I have not gotten any new astrogear for some time so I am not responsible for Murphy's Law of Astronomy making it so rainy and cloudy for so long here.

I feel deprived, not enough stargazing lately. Bummer!

Posts: 19 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Member Since: 04-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Looks like we'll be clear and cool tonight and tommorrow night. I always check out the leonid showers but have rarely seen very many. I've always found it's like fishing, in that you have to try it whenever possible to be at the right place at the right time. Maybe tonight will be our lucky night!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Because the Barth is awaiting a new engine, I've been day (night?) tripping to Chiefland. Wednesday saw nasty winds and some rain. Last night and tonight were great (I left as the fog set in; I don't like driving in the fog...)

Clear skies!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post