Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    Teckno Cool: Streaming Netflix in Coach via Smartphone
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Teckno Cool: Streaming Netflix in Coach via Smartphone
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
I have the following equipment:
1) Palm Pro Unlocked Quad Band Phone
2) AT&T contract and unlimited Data Plan
3) Netflix Account
4) Thinkpad running XP Pro SP3
This weekend we camped in San Angelo State Park near San Angelo TX, my 15 year old son configured my phone to act as a router and we tethered it my my Thinkpad. We had an HSPDA connection at about 1meg down and 350 up. We logged onto Netflix on the notebook PC via the Palm Pro configured as a router and then streamed 'Omega Man' on the notebook computer's display. It worked great.
So if you have a data plan and unlocked phone I can verify that all this works over AT&T's data plan. I think as long as you have a smart phone and unlimited data plan, and 3g or HSPDA towers, your in business to stream anything down from the web. I understand Dish has a Slingbox attachment that will encode and stream to you over the web all that your DVR/reciever can see. As well many radio stations are now streaming live so you can access them as well. Next day we drove the 80 miles home and had Internet access the entire way, some of it was slow as we were traversing very rural Central West Texas.
These times they are a changin'...

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Jeez! And I'm still learning to program my VCR.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I really hope Heaven doesn't have all this crap.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I really hope Heaven doesn't have all this crap.

West Texas IS Heaven...

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
When I hear West Texas defined as heaven, I'm reminded of the proverb, "He that would go to sea for pleasure, would go to Hell for a pastime."

Of course, up here in the Northwest corner we don't tan, we rust, & we don't dare spend too much time in places like West Texas for fear the webs between our toes will dry out and crack.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
One reason I mention this possibility is that if someone is considering a moving satellite dish: I think we are very close to having similar capabilities over cell phone broadband in terms of streaming video from your dish box at home.