Forums    Star Gazing & Other Non Automotive Hobbies    A Very Different View of Saturn!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A Very Different View of Saturn!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Here

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Not being astronomy oriented I don't know exact what I am looking at but it sho is purdee.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It a picture taken by the Cassini spacecraft of the dark side of Saturn - it's eclipsing the Sun from the Cassini viewpoint, so it's backlighted. Earth is a very insignificant dot at about the 9:30 position near the outer rings.

Here's the more familiar view as seen from Earth

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that was a very special picture, Rusty. I missed it as I was away traveling and am just now getting caught up on everything.

Thank you for posting it.

Susan

Posts: 19 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Member Since: 04-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just got back myself from the Peach State Star Gaze (well, got back on 10/23); next is Chiefland 11/13-26.

PSSG was mostly rain and clouds. High winds and rain Monday and Tuesday, a few sucker holes Wednesday. Thursday was more rain (but no wind). Friday clouded up around 1:30 AM, Saturday, clouds just after midnight.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Sorry you did not have good viewing but hopefully you enjoyed yourself by talking to other stargazers. Did you get anymore astrogear? Or books, etc?

I returned home on the evening of the 26th but my phone was out of order until the 30th. The phone repairman found a mouse nest and chewed wires about a mile from my house.

I took my telescope with me but didn't get to use it until the night before I got home. I did get to show my grandsons some things. Kristofer and Kody both enjoyed it and want to do it again.

I may go to Cherry Springs to stargaze in two weeks unless it's too cold. It's been down to freezing at night here and we have had some snow but so far it keeps melting.

I hope you have a great time and good seeing at Chiefland!!

Susan

Posts: 19 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Member Since: 04-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
We got a bit of socializing in, and a bit of viewing through Gil Shillcut's magnificent 20" f/3.9 Obsession (now with servoCat and ArgoNavis).

All I bought was Bob Berman's Strange Universe; he was there and autographed it. His talks, BTW, are "don't-miss" caliber. I was sorely tempted to get a TMB Paragon 40 that Bill Burgess had for sale, but as he has a knack for doing, pissed me off again, so I didn't...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Perhaps some new photos from Cassini
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/spacecraft-snap...id=NWS00010000000001

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post