Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mercury Transit 11/8/06
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
The planet Mercury will start a trip across the face of the Sun (actually passing between Earth and the Sun; it'll be in silhouette, called a "transit") at 2:12PM EST this coming Wednesday, which will conclude at about 5:34 PM EST.

Unless you have the proper filters (which unless you're a stargazer, you don't) DO NOT look at the Sun directly; Mercury's so small, you'd not be able to see it with the naked eye, anyway.

If there's an astronomy club in your area, there'll no doubt be scopes set up with proper filters and learned folks there to discuss the event.

If not, the event will be featuredhere, which starts at 1:30 PM EST. For a real-time viewing, go here

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Hope Mercury made it all the way across the sun without burning up! Seriously, we do thank those of you who are xperts in these things for your knowledge and warnings so we don't burn our eyeballs out trying to see something the local paper says is a " once in a lifetime" happening. Hope you had a good view and will tell us about it.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Our club had the event at Florida Community College Jacksonville's newest campus, on the top of the parking garage. Clouds constantly interrupted, and it was occasionally windy, so it was a bit dicey, but most of the transit (before sunset) was excellent.

If I make it to the Rangers Rally, I'll bring a scope or two - I always carry some astrogear, even on non- astronomy trips.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mercury successfully made it. Several images are here, which show clearly how dinky the little guy is (and he's only 2/3 the distance from Earth to the Sun).

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke