Solar Eclipse 8/21/17
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Can you use welding glasses to watch the eclipse? Cool

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yes - #14 or darker.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
We live in Madisonville, TN. Our calculations indicate that the sun's path will pass over the exact corner of our house.

I hadn't thought much about the eclipse until I saw your post.
So, I checked the NASA eclipse map and see that the resort I visit, once or twice a year, is dead center in the 2.5 minute 100% path.
Of course, now the resort is totally sold out of every room, cabin and camp site. Even so, I might go down to the vicinity and spend a couple nights dry camping in parking lots.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Have you checked Crossville TN, got a nice state park there and campgrounds, otherwise 2 truckstops and a Walmart Wink

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Amazon Eclipse Glasses "Recall"

Amazon has really stepped on its corporate crank on this one.

First, it has claimed that glasses from some sources were not tested by CE or ISO. Glasses from all sources are not tested by either standards-setting entity (Much as Underwriters Laboratory - UL - does not test). All three are standards-setting bureaus.

Where Amazon had really opened itself up for criticism (and slam-dunk litigation) is recalling glasses sourced from two of the most reputable filter vendors (I have well-used solar and other filters from both): Thousand Oaks Optical and Baader Planetarium. The latter has been a pioneer in Mylar-based solar filters for over 20 years all 4 of my white light solar filters are made with Baader film, and all have been used for years without issues (NOTE: Solar filters for optics are NOT suitable for naked eye viewing, and should not be used for that).

[rant]More distressing is Amazon's stopping sales of Lunt solar filters. The Lunts were making some of the most sophisticated solar filters IN THE WORLD when Jeff Bezos was in diapers. I have one of his solar scopes, and unlike the white-light filters, which show only sunspots, Lunt's tunable Etalon filters allow for viewing solar storms, CMEs, filaments, spicules, plages, and prominences, interesting and intriguing images most people never get to see.[/rant]

If you have glasses about which you are concerned, a list of vendors known to meet ISO 12312-2, the key spec, is here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
My 8" filter is Thousand Oaks and I plan it being used for it's first total and second solar, the first was an annular.
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Now if someone can explain me why it goes from OR to SC in 2017 and from TX to New England in 2024 twice over Carbondale IL. Doris

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hmm.... hmm They must have a large vampire population and lobbied hard! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
Now if someone can explain me why it goes from OR to SC in 2017 and from TX to New England in 2024 twice over Carbondale IL. Doris

Carbondale Chamber of Commerce spent a lot of money!

Actually the eclipse path is always +/- 2° the same. The time of year creates the path, due to the Earth's 23.5° axis tilt with respect to its orbital plane around the sun.

If Earth had no tilt, the eclipses would always pass through Ecuador, Brasil, the DR of Congo, Uganda, Somalia, Kenya, Indonesia, and not much else.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Which would improve the tourist economies of those countries.
It would also be worse than global warming maybe... higher latitudes never greening as much, polar latitudes always dark or nearly so and not so much different at the equator except the ocean flows would probably be much different up to no circulation which would make el nino and la nina appear to be lost relatives.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Here we are at ground zero of the eclipse and so far, have not seen any appreciable increase in traffic. Will see what things look like later on today. 'Experts' are warning of 100,000 to 200,000 people descending on Sweetwater/Madisonville/Tellico Plains to see the event. Total population of the county these three cities are in is 45771(2015)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nick and Donna Cagle and I met at a location NW of Greenwood, SC, arranged by other owners at Deerlick Astronomy Village. The weather was perfect (if one discounts the 94° temp). I got a few shots of the partial and more of the total. Not a big deal, as the charm of an eclipse is to see it, not record it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We downloaded a picture of the center line of the path of the total eclipse. It came exactly over the corner of our porch, went through the living room, and out the window of my office. Initially, I was somewhat perplexed by all the hoopla, but then it happened. It was really incredible, even for these 80 year old eyes. I can appreciate why people drive hundreds of miles to see this spectacular display of God's handiwork.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Rusty and Jim,
You are each SO RIGHT! cheers
To experience it was marvelous confusion
Although I was in totality at Southern Illinois, it was NOT affected by clouds, which was the case at Carbondale. I was in a HOT, sunny soybean field at Bay City, Illinois. My friend did get some great photos with a properly filtered telescope. But, the personal EXPERIENCE has been etched into my brain.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post