Reply To This Topic

Solar Eclipse 8/21/17
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
http://arstechnica.com/science...kens-middle-america/

To safely view it, precautions need to be taken...but there's a year to prepare. I've seen several sites saying, "Get your sunglasses ready!"; if that's all you intend to do, get a reservation in for a Seeing Eye Dog and make sure your medical insurance will pay your ophthalmologist...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Cool Cool Cool nono

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
We will be about in the middle of it!

Eclipse

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Barely 2 months away!

https://www.space.com/33797-to...ipse-2017-guide.html

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A friend, Mike Covington, sent the link to his eclipse presentation: (Lengthy .pdf)
http://www.covingtoninnovation.../Eclipse2017-Eng.pdf

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I ordered eclipse glasses in bulk, and will send one pair (while the supply lasts) free to each Barthmobile member for a SSAE. PM me for my snail mail.

NOTE!!! These are only for bare viewing - they ARE NOT acceptable for using with any magnification device such as binoculars/ Those require special front-end filters.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We live in Madisonville, TN. Our calculations indicate that the sun's path will pass over the exact corner of our house. Local authorities have advised that all property owners with any land that could be used for parking, take precautions to prevent unwelcome guests. Also, residents have been advised to stock up on all necessities, including oxygen, medicines, food, and fuel. This county will be grid locked for a few days.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like that darn Highway 127 yard sale. Cannot move up and down that road, gridlock and cars parked everywhere. Glad to live in the woods, no need to go anywhere.
Looking forward to the eclipse, we are in the path too

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Every time I look at your avatar, I am reminded of the '72 Volvo 145 that we had. Bought it in Dallas, drove it to Charlotte, NC, great car. It saved my daughter's life when she ran into the back of a Chrysler. Bent the Chrysler's roof(occupants ok) and gave up it's life for my daughter's. Wonderful car. Wish I still had it.(Along with a bunch of other great vehicles).

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
I have a VA appt on 21 Aug in Columbia, MO.... about 100 miles from my home. This puts me in the path of the eclipse. Going to be exciting... just hope it's not cloudy that day.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Of the subject, but me and this Volvo go back to 1976, when I was the backseat driver aka Navigator on the test drive - it was brand new (and I was a few years younger). Long story short it is MINE now, I drove it from Zurich to Amsterdam, put it on the boat, picked it up in Jacksonville FL and drove it to Tennessee a couple years ago. I love it, no power nothing, just a good B20 motor. Great driver, original color. THANK YOU DAD!

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fred & Cindy:
I have a VA appt on 21 Aug in Columbia, MO.... about 100 miles from my home. This puts me in the path of the eclipse. Going to be exciting... just hope it's not cloudy that day.
I would cancel or get there 5 days in advance.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The "other" Columbia (SC) is expecting a half million viewers. AIRbnb prices are in the $1,000/night range.

The homeowners group at my astronomy village in GA is planning a day trip with a few SUVs and vans to a private location near a small town in SC.

Columbia, MO, will likely also be a zoo.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Rusty I have a hook up at office, you are welcome to stay there free of charge. And an open field.

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Yep Kevin, I took your advice and rescheduled my VA appointment. We are about 50 miles below the path of the eclipse so we will drive up to my buddy's house who is in the path in a rural area.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post