Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Zip Dee Awnings
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am putting on a new 19' side awning on the Barth as I can not put a screen room on the Zip Dee without spending a small fortune. I also have one of the small awnings off as it was removed be the old owners. Both will need some work.

Does anyone need or want parts from the old ones? Should I have them save the old awning?

Posts: 70 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Are you replacing with AE awnings? If so you will be using the Patty-O-Room system for a screen room. As I've stated elsewhere I heartily endorse this system for it's ease of assembly and quality materials. I've never installed the awning assembly so have no words of wisdom in that regard. I did install the Patty-o-room myself. Installation consists of drilling a few holes and screwing in the turn knobs. Nothing worth paying someone else to do. Once you've set-up and taken it down a couple times it will be a few minutes work. The enjoyment of having the extra room will be, as they say, priceless.

Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28 - Slide Show
454 Chevy

Venice, Florida

Posts: 3443 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danny,

I am not sure the brand but it is a something 9000 and the most expansive. We only had the one choice once we determined the material and features.

Posts: 70 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jefflarsen:
I am putting on a new 19' side awning on the Barth as I can not put a screen room on the Zip Dee without spending a small fortune. I also have one of the small awnings off as it was removed be the old owners. Both will need some work.

Does anyone need or want parts from the old ones? Should I have them save the old awning?

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 218 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
oops, forgot to add my reply: I would be interested in the window awning and I will be in your area. thanks

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 218 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested in the Zip Dee that you are removing. My Zip Dee still works, but it is over 25 years old. You aren't planning a trip down South (as in Arizona) in the near future?

Barry

Posts: 44 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob,

The window owning is off of the back, drivers side. This is yours whenever you come by, just let me know when you think you will be coming through Salem, Or.

Barry,

My awning is from 1984 so is not much younger than yours. We will be leaving for Yuma Dec. 15th. I will fly home on Dec. 25. Do you want all of it or just the arms and brackets.

Jeff Larsen
1984 MCC Regency

posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I would like the entire awning, if that is possible. I can meet you in Yma to pick it up, if that is possible.

Barry

Posts: 44 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barry,

I have looked things over and I do not have a way of hauling the awning to Yuma. If your interested you will have to pick the awning up or pay to have it shipped.

Let me know if your interested so that I can have them save it.

Jeff

posted Hide Post
Barry,

We went to the coast this weekend and on the way back lost the large awning. Good thing we are putting a new on on tomorrow. I did not have a way to bring the old awning home, so it is on the side of the road just west of Salem.

Jeff

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jefflarsen:
Barry,

We went to the coast this weekend and on the way back lost the large awning. Good thing we are putting a new on on tomorrow. I did not have a way to bring the old awning home, so it is on the side of the road just west of Salem.

Jeff

Jeff, sorry to hear about the awning. Hope the Barth wasn't hurt.

I wasn't there, of course, but some awning losses can be prevented by a roller retainer. The factory roller locks do not always hold.

Here is one method to positively lock the roller:

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/...031019061#5031019061

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 7397 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My '94 Breakaway Zip-Dee awnings have a catch something like the old screen door locks where the hook drops into an eyelet. When I get StaRV II back from the shop (in the next few days, hopefully), I'll post a picture - the catch is rotated by the rod used to extend the awnings, and there's a catch on all four of mine.

It shouldn't be too hard to retrofit them...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8201 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
ZipDee sells an auxiliary travel latch as Rusty notes. As I recall they came with the window awnings I installed a couple years ago. The window awnings have no other lock except spring tension. I ordered one for the patio awning as well. It was $12.00 then, don't know what it is now. Simple matter to install it.

ZipDee's phone was (800) 338-2378. Don't know if that's current.

El Segundo Bill is right about the unreliability of factory roller locks, though they generally fail because they weren't properly latched in the first place. I double check to be sure, & usually have to jiggle the awning a little before the lock seats all the way.

Posts: 1612 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your awning misfortune. As you said, you were planning to replace it anyway so you were prepared for the replacement. Hope it didn't damage the coach.

Although it didn't work out, thanks for the offer of the old awning.

Happy traveling,

Barry