Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted
We are selling our TOAD.
Here is the CL listing:
https://albuquerque.craigslist.../cto/6217055998.html

Looking for a good Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
recently noticed a second generation Tracker four door for sale nearby -- VERY far from you. also MUCH bigger and heavier than 1st Generation Geo Tracker two door.

There is an inexpensive early soft top two door, from NY, on eBay now.
1997 Chevrolet Tracker
1997 Geo
seller has zero feedback.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I am trying to work my through the towing issues with these Suzuki based little cars. Some say the manual transmission, 2WD has to have the stop, run engine every 200 miles routine. 4WD models don't require this since the xfer case is in "N" and therefore no output shaft is turning. Others say that they never do this routine and have had no problems at all.

I was considering a 2WD.

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
As the owner of both a '95 Geo Tracker and a '01 Suzuki Grand Vitara with lots of towed miles on each. The Tracker weighs about 2500 and the Vitara about 3500 lbs.

A STRONG bit of advice - get a 4WD. Also the Tracker (prior to 2000) should have the manual lockout. If you really know what you are doing the auto hubs are ok. If you do any off roading you will need the 4WD.

I bought the Tracker new, so have had it 22 years and the Vitari was 1 year old when we bought it in 2002. The Vitari has moved to KY to be with my Grandaughter.

In both cases it was hook up, put the tranfer case in neutral and turn the key off. If you do not remove the key the steering wheel will not lock. Some Jeeps are this way also. The Vitari went in park and the Tracker in 4th gear to keep the output shaft from turning.

I also have supplemental braking in the Vitari. May put it in the Tracker now that is will be the full time toad again. Might also have to put the manual hubs back on.

Need more info?

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1184 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
We have a four wheel drive tracker 2003 . We have to put transmission in park the transfer case in neutral . We have to stop every 200 miles, run thru the gears for lub.

They tell me if you have a two wheel drive tracker you have to install a drive shaft disconnect.

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Year-by-year dingy guides, back as far as 2000:
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Well, I have bought a 1997 Tracker 2WD, 5speed transmission that only has 50,000 original miles. It was an AZ car and underneath it looks great. I drove it home from Phoenix without a problem. It sat around for a few years then got a new paint job and new tires.
Towing as specified by the owner's manual: (yes, the manual is there) If 2wd do not tow it on all four wheels. They crcommend towing it backwards on a dolly. If 4wd it says to still run the engine every 200 miles with the transmission in 2nd gear and the transfer case in "N". So, I have read that others have towed the manual transmission models for thousands of miles with 4 on the ground. Go figure!

Different topic. I would like to know if anyone has experience with rock guard devices that are designed to protect the TOAD from debris?

Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
BTW, TOAD (Jeep Liberty) sold to first person who looked at it.