Forums    Swap Meet Central    Jacknife sleeper couch?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Jacknife sleeper couch?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted
My sleeper couch is getting real tired. Does anyone have any ideas where one would find one like this one or something similar.There is a lot of stuff under it, heater, converter fuse panel etc. I have looked online and haven't seen anything like it.Opens to queen bed, but when closed the front drops down to access, stuff under it.Checked reupholstering,probably as expensive as a new one if I could find one. Thanks

Posts: 73 | Location: MA | Member Since: 06-13-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Hey Shadow, I might also be looking for a replacement for my Jackknife sofa.. Like you,I have storage underneath, a few hoses for something and probably other stuff too (haven't had chance to crawl around too much yet). I'd like to switch to a somewhat regular fold out sleeper bed of some sort. But keeping the storage space underneath is necessary..

do a search for sofa or jackknife on here.. there are some suggestions..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Shadow,

When I did mine, I decided not to replace the sofa because of all the stuff underneath, thinking OEM was always going to be a better 'fit'. The aftermarket sofas from camping supply places didn't seem to be the right solution for me. I decided on the reupholster route and I'm happy with the way it turned out, but my foam could have been replaced with a nicer quality latex foam while I was 'at it'. If your frame and other metal components of your sofa are in good shape, you could just get it reupholstered like I did.

I removed the sofa from my coach and disassembled it on the work bench. Then I took the cushion covers (as a pattern) to a local Amish tarp and seat cover guy who did a decent job cutting out and sewing new covers. I provided the material (sourced on eBay for a great price... but lots of local fabric shops carry material) and put it all back together once he was finished sewing the new covers. You have to use hog rings to attach it to the spring frame underneath, but on a bench, this isn't too bad a job. There are also linen 'pockets' that hold metal rods which (when "hog-ringed" in place) pull the sofa creases into the foam. You learn how to do it by paying attention to the disassembly process and taking photos. It is tons easier than recovering a leather seat from a sports car (which I have also done).

In addition to the cushions, there were the plywood ends and the face board that I needed to recover and I did that with the left-over material and a pneumatic staple gun. The best part is that I re-did the dinette set at the same time, so now everything matches. In the end, I think I had about $400 in material costs and $250 for the Amish labor... plus my own labor/time which I could only estimate at about 15-20 hours. That is for both the sofa and the dinette.

My remodel thread here. It begins with the new floor project, but extends into the reupholstering job on the seating area as well. Just skip through it and if anything helps, great!

Best luck, Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
it's just the concept/comfort level, I'm leery about.. ... The only prob is the stuff underneath.. I wonder if anything there can be moved a few inches here or half a foot there just to clear some sort of under sleeper sofa mechanism.. Or if not, some sort of mechanism that folds out ( I don't care if it goes cross coach or not ) that is able to sit on top of the storage box assembly that currently is there.. I suppose then the question is how do you access that storage area? Does the JK sofa fold completely vertical so you can actually use the under area storage and access/work on, the 'stuff' under there..sorry for the 'accurate' description, only had one quick look when I was in the check out coach phase.. and of course, hadn't brought the Barth pre-purchase 'checkout list' with me.. D'oh

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this helps but it is a source, http://colawrvsalvage.com/prod...-sofa-ultra-leather/
Colaw is a source to call or email. GL
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Some seem not to like Colaw but when I went they were very helpful. It is Just off 40 and near Kansas state line with Missouri

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post