Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need Dash A/C parts for 1989/1990 454 chevy P30
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of J Davis
posted
I have a 1989 Barth 454 Chevy P30 and I would like to get the dash A/C and heater to work again. I am looking for a condenser with mounting brackets . If anybody has one that you removed, and it is in good condition ( meaning it does not have the outline of a turkey or armadillo that you hit while running 65 mph) I would be interested. The original condenser had 2 12 inch cooling fans mounted to 2 horizontal brackets that attached to each side of the radiator mount. Have seen several universal fit condensers, but I would rather not have to mess with changing hoses to fit. I have a Sanden 709 compressor and mounting brackets that came off the engine, but don't know how they fit on the engine. Does anyone have a picture of the mounting brackets and how they are installed?

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I do have the condenser but I am reusing the condenser mounting brackets, I would be happy to pass on the condenser, I believe it to be in fair shape without leaks.

The compressor mounting is a real mess, three heavy cast mounting brackets, with bolts spread everywhere, I did not take a picture. All those brackets sure fill the drivers side of the engine bay, "dog house'. Makes any maintenance a pain in the behind.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Reusing the 30 year old technology may not be a good idea. The old units were designed for cooling the cab area of a box truck - the basic P-30 and they used R-12 Freon. The condensers were top flow with large tubes. Up until 2017 the auto industry used R-134 with cross flow condensers. The tubes are much smaller to improve heat transfer, thus they can use smaller compressors. Now the new standards are changing to a R-1234 that changes things again. The condensers are getting very small tubes with multi stage compressors that vary with the size of the car compartments. The only suitable system in an rv, if you plan to try and cool the coach, is a commercial system like those used in ambulances and small buses/shuttle vans at the airport. Carrier makes several you might consider, but re-using your old system will never be worth the effort.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Here are pics of the compressor on my 1986 barth regal with p-30 chassis .

http://s687.photobucket.com/us....jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

http://s687.photobucket.com/us...jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

http://s687.photobucket.com/us...jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

Hope the pics help .

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
I don't know why the link only shows & not the pics .
Only the 2nd time i put pics on the site .

Maybee , Kevin can figure this out ?? head bang

Bob

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to convert to R134 and at least get the dash heater and defroster working again. When I run the roof a/c on generator it still gets hot in the front. I'm sure a Carrier commercial system would cost a small fortune, so that's not an option for me. I have a sliding curtain behind the seats that closes off the front cab area, and I was planning to install a clear vinyl curtain to keep the cold air in the front. I don't care about the coach area until I get where I'm going, then I can use the roof a/c. So , do you think I would be better off to get a newer style condenser and modify the hose fittings instead of using the original condenser?

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I just installed a couple of 12 volt fans, they work great for cooling me off from the back and even better as a defroster. Get good quality fans cheapo's are noisy. I learned from experience. lol

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Worked that time .

My dash air never cooled the coach very good .

When i replaced the 454 with NEW 454 HO , I left all the smog & air conditioning stuff off the coach . It left engine bay more open .

I just use the generator & roof air . But my coach is only 25 ft .

Bob

Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
Bob, thanks for the pics.The cast aluminum bracket I have has a different part number, but the bolt hole pattern seems to be the same. Looks like it just bolts to the front of the block and the water pump. I have the same type of belt tension adjuster, so now I know how it fits with the other bracket. I also have a stamped metal bracket that I thought was for the compressor, but in your picture it looks like it was for an air pump. That goes in the scrap metal bin. Now I have several metal braces , but I should be able to figure out where they fit once I get the compressor mounted. Your pictures cleared up a lot of confusion. Without your pictures I was like a monkey with a football. I couldn't figure out how to fit everything together, especially since I had the extra air pump bracket.

Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
Bob, does your dash heat and defroster work since you took the compressor off? If so I may just buy a couple of fans like Duane and open the windows and roof vents.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
When I opened the roof vents at hi-way speeds, they blew off! I found I could crack them a bit, but not even half way open them. My defrost and front heater work ok, but it is all vacuum operated, there are kits that allow one to convert to electric actuators, If I had a lot of money I would convert.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
All of the vacuum actuators appear to be working, but the fan blower motor does not work on any setting. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet but have a 1988 service manual with a troubleshooting flow chart to check the heater motor. Will have to check fuses, ground, and wiring and switch to find the problem.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
turn the heater to HI/LO try the fans

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post

P30 chassis
350 engine